Newb Computer question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gtto

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi,
I am newly certified and trying to gain all the knowledge I can. This board helps greatly. Thanks to everyone. My question is this: When using a wrist computer do most of you have analog backups or do you just go with the computer? Thanks.

Personally I use 2 wrist computers; One as a primary & 1 as aback- up (one on each arm), with an SPG. I could go with a back- up depth guage, but I wanted to streamline as much as I could.

Ditto. I do the exact same thing!

I go with my wirst, but I have a buddy who uses an analog as well as a consol computer as his back up.
dont ask why...I think your primary should be the computer. but hay to each his own!

gtto,

For recreational diving your backup is on your buddies wrist. Failures during a dive are a pretty rare occurrence. Most computers will let you know how much battery you have left when they are turned on. So that is something to check well before the dive. And if you, or your buddy, had a computer failure during the dive you would terminate the dive and make a slow safe ascent to the surface. Some people will add a inexpensive watch as a timing backup, and that has the advantage of letting you now what the time is.

For decompression diving a second computer as a backup is common since there is a need for greater redundancy. But just starting out a second computer or other backups are not really needed. I would suggest you spend the money on a extra dive charter or two instead.

Hi,
I am newly certified and trying to gain all the knowledge I can. This board helps greatly. Thanks to everyone. My question is this: When using a wrist computer do most of you have analog backups or do you just go with the computer? Thanks.

I have my original SPG & depth gauges in a console from '85 that I never dive without......I would never rely on just a computer alone, never unless you're planning on thumbing the dive after computer trouble......

Last edited:
Iusually wear 2 computers. A real computer on the right and a wrist watch computer as a watch on the left.

Now that one computer is in the shop, I'll break out my Citizens Aqualand watch which has a depth gauge and dive timer in it. I'll slip tables in a pocket.

Fact is I still have another nitrox computer and an air computer that I can put in gauge mode. My daughter uses them.

Hi,

Despite the posts you have seen so far I believe most divers are running single computers. Most remain with the analog pressure gauge though a good number have that integrated with the computer. Then there are various combination that can back things up.

As mentioned for open water recreational dives the risks are low and a mid dive failure just means end the dive with grace and move on.

Personally I would avoid going digital on cylinder pressure, that's the one piece of data you don't want to be second guessing.

My point is that as a new diver don't go away felling compelled to buy a second computer ahead of other good gear. As your diving grows in complexity you will become equipped to make these decisions on your own.

Pete

Spectrum is very wise, listen to him. I have dove for over 35 years and I get a real kick out of people who love gadgets. For most recreational divers simple is best; simple wrist computer and analog pressure gauge. If you dive recreation depths and obey buddy rules you'll be fine. The more complicated the electronics, and the controls, the greater the risk of problems. Safe diving is keeping it dependable and simple.

General Recreational: a single wrist computer

Overhead restricted: Dual wrist computers in gauge mode

Recreational on a multi-day dive trip: TWO wrist computers with the same algorithm.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom