Newb from NoVa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

momliz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, everyone,

I just got back from snorkeling in Cozumel, where I fell in love with everything underwater. So, the next step is to get certified, or at least try it out in some way. I loved the simplicity of snorkeling, since there wasn't all that equipment to deal with, but I would really like to get up close and personal with everything deeper than a couple feet.

One question - should I go through an LDS to get certified - is that the only way? (You can tell that I am pretty clueless :confused: ). If so, can anyone recommend one in the Fairfax area? The Dive Shop on Nutley is close to me, and SeaVentures isn't far, either. I am looking for a shop that will certify my 12 year old son also. I will post on the Mid Atlantic Bottom feeders page as well.

Thanks for your help, this looks to be a great forum, and I've been enjoying all the great information and support here!

Hi there,welcome on :sblogo:

Welcome momliz! Getting certified through a dive shop would be your best bet. Do you really want to spend your vacation in the classroom? The Dive Shop off Nutley is very good, just don't purchase the major equipment until you are sure. Mask, fins, snorkel are minor investments.

Howdy and Welcome to SB.com!
0055.gif

Check our New Divers forum...

Click Forums at the top to start checking all the choices, and try our :search: feature. Hope you enjoy your time here. Click my Username to PM me if I can help? Helpful Hint: I have UserCP bookmarked as the page I go to first when I come onto SB.

thnks1agan.gif
don :cowboy:
[c]
fbottom1.gif

[/c]

Hi, momliz -
I am also a new NoVa dive mom and am excited to see you on scuba board. I did my certification last winter through The Dive Shop on Nutley. They were awesome, and I've found they really give me good guidance on what I need to purchase as well as crazy things I want to buy that they honestly tell me not to (even though it would make them more money). I've also found that their prices are pretty close to what I would pay for stuff on the web, except that I have expert guidance directly there.

I did not take their usual SDI training route. They have one instructor there, Lisa, that does PADI certification. I had to do PADI because where I was going for my Open Water Certification in California only recognized PADI. I'm sure there are those way more experienced than I that could give you the whole PADI versa other certs talk, but I just liked the PADI way. Lisa was great, and we were able to schedule flexible training times based upon our crazy work schedules. I'm not expert, but I think 12 year olds can get some sort of junior certification via PADI, but I'm sure someone else or the shop will give you more specifics. Because I like PADI so much, I now do my training through Aquatic Adventures on Route 1 nearer to my house. I just got my enriched air certification through there, and Marty was able to give me a private class during the day because I am a shift worker. I really can't say enough great things about both The Dive Shop and Aquatic Adventures.

If you are looking for a Dive Buddy, please don't hesitate to let me know. I have been really blessed to have a dive angel mentor in DA Aquamaster, and we are lucky to have him in the area. I'm totally up for hitting Millbrook Pond or Rawlings Lake almost any time. I'm trying to get down to NC to dive the weekend of 20 Sept if you are interested in heading out. I'm still trying to figure out all things Scuba Board, and we can private chat, so let me know if you want to exchange information. I'm just thrilled to see another mom type from my neighborhood here! Anne

welcome aboard

Back
Top Bottom