Newbe to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Others have provided great stuff -- I tend to post more on Bonaire Talk than here for island stuff.

Here are my questions to you:
What is important to you?
a) On-water? View?
b) Fridge, Full kitchen or nothing?
c) Pool?
d) On-site bar?
e) 24 hour front desk?
f) Cost?
g) Boat, shore or mix?
i) Large facility or small?
j) Close or on-site cafe?
k) Walking distance to town?
l) Quality of house reef (if on-water)?
m) Fancy furnsihings or simply clean?
n) One-bedroom? Two? Regular room?

And -- what is your budget? Is that with or without taxes?

These are all great questions, sorry for my lack of detail. I've been searching.
Here are the answers.
a) On water would be nice, wife would like ocean view.
b) Full kitchen what we're shooting for.
c) I personally don't care about a pool, we'll be wet enough.
d) I could pass on the bar (were going with a non-drinking couple)
e) 24 hour desk wouldn't matter as long as I can get tanks when I need 'em.
f) We're trying to do this as economical as possible without picking off fleas.
g) Mostly shore, but I would like to do a few boat dives.
i) I'm not concerned about the size, personally I like the smaller places
j) We're planning on cooking most of the time, maybe walkable cafe would come in handy.
k) If we have a truck, I'd sacrifice walking distance to town for other things we like.
l) a nice house reef for night dives, would be a plus.
m) Simple and clean would be perfect.
n) two bedroom if cheaper would be what we're looking for, it will be (two couples).
With taxes were trying to stay around $2,000 (not including airfare).
The place we've stayed in Cozumel the last couple times was very simple, nothing fancy. It was small (20 rooms), but it had a very cozy, family like atmosphere. It was perfect.

One additional question I would have is- When getting nitrox tanks from the tank shack, is it assumed that you have your own oxygen analyzer? My wife and I are nitrox certified, but don't have our own analyzer. Should this be on the "to get" list? or do they have one to use?
Thanks again for everyone's efforts!
Tim

Read this link:

Bonaire

and look/read this one:

More Bonaire

Michael

Looking at your responses to the questions it sounds like Coral Paradise would fit your needs perfectly, and I hope you checked out their web site.
It is small, each room has a full kitchen, there is a nice pool, you could easily walk to 3 or 4 dive sites, Capt. Dons house reef is perfect for a night dive and Charlie the tarpon will come hunt in your lights.
-I stayed there in April and Capt. Don's is great to work with for your dives (all is arranged and is part of your package). We didn't do any boat dives, but that is an option. We cooked almost all of our own meals to save money, and it's very clean and nice as it is brand new.
I'm not associated with Coral Paradise I just told the Treadaways I'd give them an occasional "plug" because we enjoyed their place and their hospitality. Looking to get back and will stay there again. Enjoy Bonaire.

Another place you might consider is den laman. My wife and I are heading down there this spring for the first time and we chose that place. It's a smaller property, but they do have 2 bedroom condo's for rent. They have a great house reef, they share it with sand dollar. Both properties use the same dive op that's set up on the reef.

All the reviews I've read on the property have been positive, and it's not as expensive as some of the other resorts.

Most places that sell nitrox have their own analyzers.

Tom

Thanks guys,
I'm still in the data gathering stage, but Coral Paridise, Buddy Dive, Happy Holiday, and the Del laman are all in the front running.
Thanks again,
Tim

Hate to throw another option your way, but we've stayed at Sand Dollar twice and loved it. They are timeshare condos, so each one is different, which we like. The house reef is one of the best (we've read it's 'the very best') on the island. All the diving is great there, you can't go wrong. We did several house reef dives because it was so good. If we didn't feel like driving, just hopped off the pier for a house reef dive. They have breakfast included, which was really nice.

Make note of this restaurant! Cappriccio. It's outstanding, especially if you like a little wine with dinner.

You'll love Bonaire!

On one hand, I hate the idea that this place might get so popular that they won't have a room for me, but I would also like to recommend Den Laman.

Here are my questions to you:
What is important to you?
a) On-water? View?--- They have both but please GET the ocean view its worth every relaxing breath as you sip on you morning coffee on the balcony.
b) Fridge, Full kitchen or nothing? They have a full kitchen --all appliances full refrig and freezer with ice and water in the door, stove, microwave and all dishware and cutlery.
c) Pool? no ( I agree if you're diving the big pool is always open)
d) On-site bar? yes and even though you are going with a non-drinking couple... enjoy the Monday Rum Punch socials and the meet the other guests, its fun!

e) 24 hour front desk? no .... but they are wonderful and more importantly 24 hour security...
(I didn't feel like I was in an area that needed it but every night before and after dinner we could count on seeing a security guard on property .... its just a "destress" reassurance in my book.)
f) Cost? worth every penny
g) Boat, shore or mix? We went mixed --- just wanted to explore on our first trip. Dock is right out infront of the condo's. The Bari Reef (The house reef) is teeming with life and simple to dive. one way wall to your right, return at 180 degrees with the gradaully sloping wall to your left.

i) Large facility or small? dive shop?? medium ...the on site dive shop isn't "huge" but I was very impressed with everything that they had available for both scuba divers and the snorklers.
(Suggest writing diver # on the chalk board or checking with the shop staff ASAP as boats can fill up quickly.) I think that there were no more than 12 divers per boat.
j) Close or on-site cafe? Downstairs (I think it is under new management) There is a small market and an icecream shop in front of the property. (You could walk to one or two restaraunts but I recommend getting in the truck and driving..... got to Richard's for sure.) and will's tropical grill Other posts suggest some great options as well...
We also purchased a week pass of internet access at the local internet cafe (also in front of the condos) "ChatNbrowse". ...my husband still felt compelled to check email.

k) Walking distance to town? No -- rent truck.
l) Quality of house reef (if on-water)? AWESOME - EASY ACCESS -- make the effort to take a sunset diving or a morning dive ... you won't regret it.
m) Fancy furnishings or simply clean? simple and clean (keep in mind that you are in the tropics don't leave food out.)
n) One-bedroom? Two? Regular room? Our one bedroom condo had a separate room for the bedroom with a separate airconditioning unit. they offer units with multiple bedrooms.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom