Newbie alert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Happybunny

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I was introduced to this forum by a member of another board and it looks like just the kind of place a person who's caught the diving bug needs to be!!!

I've had a life long fear of deep water which actually didn't have to be really deep, pools are okay it's the big deep blue that would have me quaking in my boots even at the mere thought and didn't think I'd ever beat it. I managed 2 metres on my very first attempt, the sheer sight of an endless mass of water was too much and I couldn't control my breathing ie I actually kept forgetting to breathe which I hear is quite common.

My second attempt was just last week, different place, different school and the change in my confidence was amazing. My instructor Michel was German and very, very experienced. A former rescue diver, hard hat diver and licensed to 330 metres so I was in very safe hands. Just as well as it turns out.

Two things he really didn't want me to do, one was smile and the other was not to take the regulator out of my mouth. I reassured him there would be no chance of either after all who's daft enough to get rid of their air supply says I. Famous last words anyone??? :D

I couldn't help it, I was so relaxed and enjoying myself so much. The little fish were coming up and looking right at me then scurrying away, I managed to feed one of them for about 5 seconds and then it happened LOL I flaming well smiled a big cheesy grin it was too.

Well I stopped breathing while I figured out what to do, it was quite simple really spit it out into the regulator. What did I do??? Spat the regulator out didn't I??? That was when all hell broke loose for me anyway, I started retching and climbing the invisible ladder.

All I can really remember seeing is the instructor in front of me ramming it back in. I was having none of it and fought him like a mad woman!! I didn't just spit it out once incidentally no no I had to spit it out twice giving the poor man a hard time.

When we broke surface he was still as cool as a cucumber and I was shaking, coughing and spluttering. He was so surprised it had happened, I tell you I was really glad he was there.

I gave up for that day, I fed the fish and got really close to them which was my target anything else would have been a bonus. I am now really annoyed at myself for not going and trying again that day, he went back in and got me some more pictures and some shells which I wanted. When I saw what I missed I was most upset.

So my mind is made up, I'm going back to the same guy to do my courses only trouble is he's in South Tenerife and I'm in Scotland so it'll have to wait a while but I'm hooked despite that little episode.

So there's my diving background, not a lot there but hey it's more than it was before and I'm really proud that I got that far. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and learning more, some of the photographs are just amazing by the way thanks for sharing them!!!

Howdy Bunny!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue:

That's a funny but rough first day of Scuba story. It is fun, but - don't smile. I laugh sometimes, but I do it thru the reg. Call is ROSLTR - Rolling On Sand Laughing Thru Reg. Hope you can ease back into it okay, and - you might update your Proifle as "New Student"...?

Check out our New To Scuba forum, too...

don

:D

it looks like you have had a couple of bad experiences, try not to let that discourage you to much, i think its great that you are going to try it again, im new to scuba my self, but i have been a free diver for some time now, and ill tell ya there is a whole nother world down there, that is just so beautiful. so dont give up you wont regret it. good luck on your next attemp. im sure it will go just fine.

Welcome aboard.

Sounds like an exciting day. Hope everything works out for you.

Profile updated thanks for the head up and the warm welcomes!!! Yeah I'm definetely going to go back cause I'm stubborn but really because once I got past the whole deep sea sort of thing the experience was just brilliant. It is indeed a whole different world and yes very beautiful. :D

"Yeah I'm definetely going to go back..."
:jump013:

Yea! Yeah, it's a somewhat technical and safety challenged sport, but it's doable. You have the spirit for I, I think.

If you need any help, you'll find it here. :jump:

Just let us know...

On the bright side, I can think of a number of dive sites where the maximum visibility is under five meters. No worries at all about endless expanses of deep blue water. :D

for humans.

We survive and enjoy our visits by training ourselves to do things that are not normal and natural until they 'feel' normal and natural.

Stick with it.
Every dive has a lesson to learn, a task to do and something to marvel at.

Welcome to SB.

Hey good for you! So far I only did 2 open water dives - 'discover scuba' ones in Turkey. During the first it was as much as I could do to keep breathing and keep from panicking, even though my fab cool instructor was holding onto me, working my BCD and reading my gauges. Didn't spit out my regulator but there was one mad moment where I just got this mad idea in my head that it would be really easy to do... and it sort of took over, and I nearly did. Crazy. Anyhow, I hated that first dive! came up tense and shakey but also determined to go down for the 2nd (hey I'd already paid for it!). And that's when I started to relax and 'get' it. Now I'm doing my PADI open water and loving it, can't wait to get back under the sea. Stick with it, sounds like you've got the right spirit there. Good luck.
Cheers
Richard
"RAD'

I am so happy you are going to try it again. There is a whole other world below our vast waters. Give yourself the time you need and surround yourself with positive people in the sport. If you need anyone to talk to, come here and drop me a line or as far as that goes almost anyone on this board who has been here for a while. It's all about comfort. Take care and best of luck. It's a great sport. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom