Newbie dropping the big bucks: critique the gear choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aa777888:
Pretty much staying with my original plan. No finger reels, just a short line. No canister lights. The Light Cannon is a contender. Will make my own decision on the Air-2 based on my own experience with it (to be experienced in a training, not emergent environment). Bio-fin's are in (I did pre-research this, BTW). Will consider an SPG for the spares kit. Great education in board personalities, too!
Well it is your decision and your choices are unlikely to get you killed. I have to say though I'm a little disappointed. You asked for critque and got many similar responses indicating you should try some of these things which you basicly ignored. I can tell you that I started with an air integrated octo and learned and moved on. I won't deny you your chance to learn from your mistakes as well.

A couple more comments:

Starting with the short line is ok as it's not going to cost you much. I promise I won't say I told you so after you try to deploy it the first time :).

Get yourself a lantern grip for the Cannon. It's a good choice for a rec diver.

See if you can find an Atomic SS1 to play with. People I know who use it say it breaths like a real regulator.

Good luck with your diving and have fun.

James

P.S. If you get as addicted as the rest of us your gonna need that money for all the vacations, that or you will wind up diving at home wherever that is :).

Newbie-
Some replies to your comments.
-Congratulations on finding a really great sport. We are like you, Warm Water/Caribean divers only, so hopefully my comments will be of value.
-We both have ScubaPro Mk25/s600 rigs and love them. They breath very well.
-We both have an Air 2. (Actually mine is a Tusa copy). I've tried buddy breathing w/our sun mult. times on our last trip. Worked fine, but I only carry 8-10 lbs. of weight, and ALWAYS deflate my BC (Seaquest Balance which I love) BEFORE I start ascending. That way I swim up, and adjust bouyancy when I'm at my safety stop. Also be aware that you should put a slightly longer hose on your Air 2 to make it easier to use.
--We both HAD Blades, but moved to Splits (mine are Bio-Fins). I really like these esp. for the low effort required to cruise slow.
General Performance comments:
--We both noticed lower air useage as we upgraded our gear. On our last trip, I was always coming up with 1000-1500 # left (group diving).
--My wife uses an Oceanic Data Max Plus and likes it alot, esp. for the big screen. I had a Data Max, which died: I'm replacing it w/an Oceanic VT Pro, and pony bottle SPG (screws into the first stage). I like having all info. in one place, and don't tech. dive so don't mind the lack of redundancy that many people will argue for.

Good luck, have fun. BTW, you're very fortunate to have a LDS where you can checkout alot of gear in the water.

aa777888:
Hi all,

Yup, I'm that dangerous breed, a newly certified person (couple actually, including my wife) with too much money. We are pretty serious about it, though and have seen enough participation in other "adventure sports" like skydiving, ocean sailing, etc. that we are more comfortable owning and maintaining our own. Known stable configuration/known condition/better stuff and all that. Best of all we have a pretty good LDS with a pool that we can (and already have been) testing things in, within the limits of what they typically stock, of course.

We are also going to be the dreaded "vacation divers". We have absolutely no interest in diving anything but tropical waters. We like gear intensive sports, but not for the gear. For example, you won't catch us skydiving in the winter (did it once when we started out and it was fun--once :wink: ).

aa
As a fellow newbie gear addict (wanna see my collection of rock climbing, camping, hiking, horseback riding, fossil-collecting stuff? LOL) I can tell you that I've learned a lot here. I've also used common sense and an inate knowledge of myself to decide on my gear. It will do fine for most of what I'll ever do - recreational diving for fun and relaxation. If I ever decide to get more technical, I'll get different gear. It's like rock climbing....a weekend of top-roping will require different gear then a week of sport climbing. And I'd never bring a barrel racing saddle to a jumping event with thoughts of ever surviving the course without serious injuries!:eyebrow: I think, esp. as a newbie, it is so important to practice and drill with your equipment until it becomes a part of you. In an emergency it has to be instinctive - sometimes there is no time to think, "now where did I put that knife?" . So IMO, just use common sense, follow the rules, practice and be safe. oh, and don't forget to have fun.

So far I have settled on the Mares Volo fins with Mares Avanti booties and I love them. 15 laps in an Olympic pool couldn't get my legs to cramp and they felt great. But your leg strength and kick style may be different so try out as many as you can. The Cressie-sub Matrix mask fit great and I like the vis. The DIVA LX was highly recommended on the women's section of SB and really was the best fitting BC for my short torso.
Wetsuits: I liked the Oneill 3mm but I added a 5mm hooded vest for cooler dives. I also have a shorty by ScubaPro. I'd like to add a thicker wetsuit or maybe go dry for chillier weather here in NC. Hendersons seem really nice but still researching that. Regs: Atomics B2 and an SS1. I trained with an Air2 so I'm comfy with the SS1...the buttons are a million times easier to work - even with gloves and it breathes excellent. Everything went to the super techs at my LDS who inspected and tuned it to my taste. I have inherited my honey's Oceanic dive console since he went with a hoseless/AI Uwatec and it will be fine until I decide on my computer. Someone had mentioned the Suunto Vytec and it seems like a decent computer that I can grow with.

Is this gear right for you? Maybe, maybe not. I love it all and have practiced and trained with it so I'm comfortable and knowledgable about it. You just have to research what's out there, try it and then select what is best for you. And only you know what that will be. So good luck and be safe. And have fun!:wink:
Peace

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom