Newbie equipment list.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to reinforce what RAINPILOT said about getting an SMB. You absolutely need one for open water dives, preferably one that can be seen a long way away. As you get more experienced you will find it useful for other things like lifting things, decompression dive staging, marking your start point at night (with a strobe), or simply hanging it at your drop off point on an unguided wall dive.

Although it is a bit more expensive, I recommend a CBPF-35 from Carter Lift
Bag, Inc. (Personal Floats Safety Sausage Tubes). I had one for more than 20 years. When the inflation valve finally began to leak, I called them and they said "send it back and we will repair it at no charge." It got better--or worse, depending how you look at it. I insured it, and either the US Postal Service misdelivered it, or it was stolen from Carter's delivery box. USPS refused to pay the insurance because I didn't have a receipt (after 20 years), however, Carter's manager sent me a new one at no charge because the loss occurred on his end. That just doesn't happen these days.

P.S. I continue to duel with the USPS bureaucracy and will send them the money if I ever can get the insurance I paid for.

Also I'm curious, what is the "Surefire" of dive lights? (If you're not familiar, SureFire is a great brand of flashlights/weapon lights/ duty lights for the firearms world).
Halcyon or light monkey. Overbuilt, extremely reliable, not leading edge tech mostly, significantly more expensive than the typical Chinese lights, extremely good customer service. UWLD & Diverite are also in that category though I've never used them.

You guys are set for now. Pack your stuff and go to Cozumel for a week (no all inclusives). Make 12-14 dives (including a night dive on Paradise Reef) and check out your equipment and underwater comfort. Get used to open water diving and maybe some current. Take all your goodies out (knife, shears, lights, etc,) and play with them for a while so you can see if you can get to them and put them back underwater without looking at them or stabbing yourself. Then reflect and change as appropriate. Looks like you have some good gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom