Newbie gear questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am new to scuba and really would like to have my own gear as well. I have been leaning pretty strong toward the package deal with the mares rebel 2. For now I am strictley recreational and at this point will dive primarily on vacations and occasionally around Home, (Dallas area) so I don't really think I need something on the upper end for now anyway. The price tag on the Mares Rebel 2 from Scubatoys bothers me a little because it is cheap. Have you had a chance to use yours much and is there anyone that has an opinion on the rebel 2. I would like to find a good deal but, I also want one that is reliable for years to come.

Thanks for the help.

The rebel 2 is a common resort reg, it is a piston 1st stage. It a decent warm water reg. It is used by resorts in asia allot along with the rebel 12. The Rebel 12 has a balance diaphragm which I perfer and it is nitrox read out the box if you ever decide to go that route. So the 12 may have more growth room.

I believe that needing a computer should be based upon your need ...(multi-level diving or not) ... not based upon fashion. Single level dives are easily and safely done by the tables - and kinda fun.
However, multi level diving - which is in reality most of our dives- will demand a computer ...especially if you are planning repetitive dives for that day as the tables will severly limit your time and depth on the repetitive dives.

I am new to scuba and really would like to have my own gear as well. I have been leaning pretty strong toward the package deal with the mares rebel 2. For now I am strictley recreational and at this point will dive primarily on vacations and occasionally around Home, (Dallas area) so I don't really think I need something on the upper end for now anyway. The price tag on the Mares Rebel 2 from Scubatoys bothers me a little because it is cheap. Have you had a chance to use yours much and is there anyone that has an opinion on the rebel 2. I would like to find a good deal but, I also want one that is reliable for years to come.

Thanks for the help.

I can't speak to that exact reg, however, I've been diving a Mares MR 12 III for about 20 years and loved it, still do!
I think you want to consider 2 things about the reg you purchase,
1- the manufacturer's reputation (be aware just because it says "Sears" on it doesn't mean it was made BY Sears).
2 - who can maintain / repair it, what does your local dive shop sell would be a good start. All of the companies spoken about in this thread are reliable, but you don't want a reg that you have to send to Houston or Ft. Lauderdale to get serviced every year. Also there is good advice in purchasing a reg that will grow as you develop as a diver (see shoturtle's advice, it's worth listening to).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom