Newbie info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howie99

Reaction score
Hi all, a friend and I are considering taking lessons. Is there a website that list the requirements for certification. Also are there different levels of certification? Any good reading materials for beginners? Thanks

there are many certifying agencies and all have varying levels of certification from very basic to extremely advanced...do some searching here on this board and you will likely find all you need to know...the "big boys" are PADI, NAUI, YMCA, with many smaller agencies doing basically the same thing as well as some specialized agencies for the more advanced stuff

Another good starting point is driving out to the local dive shops and talking to some of their instructors. They'll give you a good idea of what the course is all about and you will be able to choose one based on the quality of the instructor and not pick an agency by reputation only.

Cheers.

-J.-

See what local dive shop works the best for you. Talk to the owners and instructors and see who genuinely is the most interested in earning your business and appears to run a good operation. I was turned on by a shop because the owner spent an hour with my g/f and I selling us on diving in general. He wasn't selling himself, just selling diving and in turn he sold him self. They also had the most organized shop with the most gear. Pretty much all of the prices are the same for the classes (at least they are in my area), so find a place that looks organized, professional, and excited to earn your business; you won't regret it. I've since spent thousands at my LDS, taken additional classes, and enjoy shooting the breeze with the owner and others who work there.

Matteo:
there are many certifying agencies and all have varying levels of certification from very basic to extremely advanced...do some searching here on this board and you will likely find all you need to know...the "big boys" are PADI, NAUI, YMCA, with many smaller agencies doing basically the same thing as well as some specialized agencies for the more advanced stuff
Ahem, as an SSI instructor, I have to point out that SSI is bigger than at least one of the "big boys" you listed. PADI is by far the largest certifying agency. The last I heard, SSI was #2.

To respond to the OP's question, the Recreational Scuba Training Council lists the basic standards for scuba certification (which I believe all the certifying agencies abide by, although some add more requirements). But the target audience for the standards is scuba instructors, so it may not mean much to a newbie. It would probably be better to talk to a local instructor you plan to use to get a good idea.

divingjd:
Ahem, as an SSI instructor, I have to point out that SSI is bigger than at least one of the "big boys" you listed. PADI is by far the largest certifying agency. The last I heard, SSI was #2.

QUOTE]

yes, I stand corrected....but I only had a second to respond and was trying to give some general info for a starting point for the OP...and as a side note, I have heard great things about SSI....my apologies, kind sir:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom