Newbie looking for diving opps in New York City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a number of shops and shore dives on Eastern LI (~1 1/2-2 hours from City).
Ponquogue Bridge, Roanoke Barges, etc.
Good shops on East end are Hampton Dive (Riverhead), another couple of good ones are Port Divers (Port Jefferson), and Swim King (Rocky Point).

scubazlot:
I am new to diving, but I am in the NYC area and agree all of those shops seem like great shops. I am heading out to Dutch Springs on the 15th/16th for my OW certifications. I can let you know the scene at Dutch Springs, how easy it is to find a dive buddy, etc.

I have been to DS quite a few times over the last few years and I can tell you that you will not have trouble finding a dive buddy if you just show up.

You will find that divers in general are a very friendly bunch, and DS is no exception. As long as you are willing to ask, you will find a buddy. Try going to one of the stores/dive masters parked by the penninsula, at the edge of the parking lot. You may have to be flexible in the timing and just tag along, but you will definitely get in the water.

Best,
Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom