** Newbie Looking for Gear Advice - Mask, Fins & Snorkel **

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kraken, you're cracked. All of the top rated "snorkel" fins were tested using divers in SCUBA gear. The so called snorkel (full foot) fins that I've cited here will beat the jetfin, split fin plus 50 other stiff "SCUBA" fins in speed and slalom. The flexible Avanti Tre equals perfomance of the Quattro and Bio pro at 1/3 the cost.

Masks - only repeating other replies: try first.

Fins - I would advise you DON'T get full-foot fins if you are planning on moving onto scuba diving.
Although you mentioned you will primarily be diving in warm waters, there are distinct disadvantages to full-foots (although there is the advantage of not having to pack the boots with full-foots when travelling). It is most likely you will have a walk in your equipment between the gearing up point to the entry point and walking round bare foot may be uncomfortable. Also, I personally feel you get more power in boots and fins than in full-foots.

If you are going to the Carribean soon, you could wait and visit some of the dive shops there to try on equipment. That way you could be sure of the fit and would only have to carry the stuff back home. Wouldn't do this with scuba gear, though.

pescador775:
Newto, you absolutely need a snorkel. Take it from an avid freediver. Find a proper old fashioned tube snorkel, black with an orange label on top. The best was made by DACOR. Stay away from complicated snorkels. They cause drag.

freediving is a different issue than just mostly snorkeling on the surface. Some features are nice to have for snorkeling and drag is not an issue.

Louie:
It is most likely you will have a walk in your equipment between the gearing up point to the entry point and walking round bare foot may be uncomfortable. Also, I personally feel you get more power in boots and fins than in full-foots.

Newbie, please take what Louie mentions about the boots and gearing up. I found on my last trip having to walk 300 yards from the dive shop to the launch boat on a broken glass laden street. The versatility amd safety of the boots on getting to a launch boat or shore dives reinforced my decision to use boots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom