Newbie Question: 1-Week Crash Courses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd - sent you a PM reply. Thanks!

Also taking advantage of the free bump. :wink: Any other thoughts on my questions? Recommended resources - online or otherwise? Favorite websites? Other discussion boards? Do we have a library of resources, FAQs, etc. here??

Thanks!

A full time 9-5, 6 day course
is certainlly the norm around here and a crash course would
a 4 day course giving you 3 open water dives.
I still believe in 6 openwater dives for the person who is new to the diving world.
YET it is an indevidual experience and some people grasp the concept quicker than others.
Howard

Hey Howard,

Thanks for the response. Yesterday, I checked into some local options for instruction and found a 5-star PADI LDS right in my backyard. Their program is run over two successive weekends (Fri-Sun for classroom and pool; Sat-Sun for OW), culminating in 2-3 OW dives per day. Does this sound like what you're suggesting?

Thanks for your thoughts. :)

Vixyswillie once bubbled...
Hey Howard,

Thanks for the response. Yesterday, I checked into some local options for instruction and found a 5-star PADI LDS right in my backyard. Their program is run over two successive weekends (Fri-Sun for classroom and pool; Sat-Sun for OW), culminating in 2-3 OW dives per day. Does this sound like what you're suggesting?

Thanks for your thoughts. :)

I'd be wary of a program that squeezes all the classroom and pool time into a weekend.

I can't imagine how anyone could get an adequate education in such a short amount of time.

jonnythan once bubbled...
I'd be wary of a program that squeezes all the classroom and pool time into a weekend.

I can't imagine how anyone could get an adequate education in such a short amount of time.

The other option I was considering was doing it all in a week. Is there that much of a difference between the two??

Vixyswillie once bubbled...

The other option I was considering was doing it all in a week. Is there that much of a difference between the two??

Find out how much classroom time and pool time each class provides.

IMO, even if the numbers all the same, having everything crammed into a weekend is too much. Absorbing a large amount of information over 5 days is much better than having to absorb the same amount in 3.

The VARIOUS AGENCIES have course standards
These cover time spent in classroom,pool and on sea dives.
The more time spent on a course the more you will learn above the minimum agency standards.
The instuctors attitude can also teach you volumes.
After a pool session recentlly another instuctor who was eavesdropping on my leacture,came over and stated.
'Jeez you even teach your students how to get in and out of wetsuits.'
I can only imagine what else he ommits from his training standards.
If you are limited to time and in a rush.
and think you can be a compedent diver in two weekends
its up to you and the DC.
I still advise you to go and do a course that more than covers just the minimium .
Howard

Such courses are an extremely bad idea!

To have an effective class, it needs to be spread out over a period of 3+ weeks. You learn and store the material in your short term memory. Even if you learn it very well, you won't retain it. The answer is to keep reenforcing the learning over a period of time. This allows you to transfer the skills to your long term memory.

Another problem with most classes is they don't teach nearly enough in water skills nor do the give you enough in water practice time. Most classes provide 4 pool sessions, a good course will provide about 8 sessions lasting about 2 hours each.

Learn to dive the right way.

Patrick,

There is much difference between the two.

You appear to work in the vicinity of an emergency room. You have a better awareness than many of the stunning rapidity with which things can go wrong.

Diving is not necessarily more dangerous than flying an aircraft. Like piloting an aircraft, however, diving is intolerant of error or oversight. It is deceptively easy to get into a situation that is difficult to get out of.

I encourage you to consider taking the week-long course (at least) like Rick's, which provides the complete training program over a period of time that allows for an in-depth understanding of the fundamentals of safe diving.

I agree with Johnnythan. It is not merely a matter of the number of hours. It is the number of classroom hours combined with time spent reading the book and absorbing the material. There are several concepts that are important to grasp for a good, safe foundation.

I agree also with Peter, that comfort level in the water is also important, and will only be gained by time spent in the water. Having a good theoretical foundation, though, allows you to better integrate the experience you gain in the water with the rationale behind WHY you do the skills you practice.

Peter may be correct with his statement that many divers go through very cursory certification courses and do not have 'problems'.

This could be because the crash training was adequate. Another explanation, however, is that those students have not yet had enough experience diving to encounter a situation which requires more training than they have received.

Those divers who DO have 'problems' often have them because they are diving beyond their own capabilities and experience/training. Having an in-depth foundation is important.

All things considered, you will be a better-informed, safer diver by investing quality time as well as dollars in your own training.

Regards,

Doc

"Peter may be correct with his statement that many divers go through very cursory certification courses and do not have 'problems'.

This could be because the crash training was adequate. Another explanation, however, is that those students have not yet had enough experience diving to encounter a situation which requires more training than they have received."

Another explanation is that many divers use the DM as a baby sitter. DM's save thousands of inadequately trained divers every year. I lost count of my rescues years ago, most were of divers who would not have needed to be rescued if they'd had adequate training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom