Newbie Question: 1-Week Crash Courses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

would depend on the comfort level of the individual.

I would (most likely) have been fine with a 1-week total-SCUBA open water class. My wife wouldn’t have made it. I may have learned to dive in that week but I doubt I would have had the same level of ability, safety and knowledge that we received from being in learning mode for 5 weeks.

Some are naturals and take to SCUBA right away and some take a while to become comfortable. Mrs. aquaviper needed the cold-clammy hand of our warm-hearted instructor to hold onto until she reached that comfort level.

Spread it out for the 5 weeks. It’ll be August when you’re ready for your open water check out dives. The water around here doesn’t get any warmer than it is then.

Well, I stopped down at the scuba shop in my hometown after work tonight. Here's the skinny from my perspective. Please note: this is only my (newbie) $0.02. YMMV. :wink: And aquaviper - if I've not been accurate in any of my descriptions below, please feel free to comment and I'll stand corrected. I only spent about an hour in the store.

I talked with the owner and chief instructor of the store. He's been diving since the late 60's and does all sorts of diving (commercial, wreck, deep, ice - in addition to a bit of recreational diving in the tropics, etc.), so he seems pretty well rounded. His beginner classes are 5 weeks long and occur on Thursday nights (classroom) and Friday nights (pool) - from 6:30p to 10:00p each night. At the end of the 5 weeks, there are two days of open water checkout dives on Nagawicka lake (4 dives in all). In terms of overall length, it sounds comparable to Rick's program, with more "filler" time added between sessions. He claims this is better, since it allows you to read and study the material for the next week's lesson. Course fee is $275 - which includes classroom, pool, OW dives, course materials (including a rather cool PADI dive wheel which he demonstrated for me - quite slick) and the rental fee for your equipment during the classes. You of course must buy your personal equipment (mask, fins, snorkel and boots) before the class starts. Once you're certified, you can come back to use the pool to refresh your skills, get some brush-up lessons on the dive tables, etc., all for free. They are a full-service PADI shop and sell the Sherwood line of scuba gear.

On the plus side, the owner is a great guy. We chatted for quite a while and he seemed to offer sensible advice. He himself admits to using middle of the road equipment (in terms of cost) that is well made, admitting that he is very hard on his stuff. He said you can spend a lot of money on things and not necessarily get better stuff, which is pretty much true of anything. They also have a diving club with monthly meetings at the shop on the 2nd Tuesday of each month. The club is open to all scuba divers - you don't have to be certified before attending the meetings. They sponsor social events, plan group dives (like a Halloween night dive, which sounds like a gas), etc. The store also organizes a few dives per year. He says his store is very active - lots of divers that go on a lot of regular outings (including ice dives every weekend in the winter). His price for the certification seems pretty typical. Before I left, he gave me a big honkin' stack of magazines to take along with me and read. <lol> He'd certainly be a lot of fun to dive with - obviously loves scuba and loves to have fun doing it. As a little aside, he greeted every person that walked in the door by name. I like that. :)

On the negative side, the store is pretty discheveled. I don't say this to be unkind - the owner just seems like a pretty basic guy, and I think his store probably reflects that. There was a lot of seemingly used equipment around - some of it looking a bit tired. His selection of gear is pretty minimal, but I'm not sure that I would choose the Sherwood line for myself, anyway, so no matter. I did get the impression that he would be happy to help you select gear appropriate for your needs, even if he didn't sell it.

So - that's my only real local option (the others I've checked out in the area are all doing the abbreviated 2-weekend courses). It looks like it's going to be the 5 week course, as described above, or Rick Murchison's 1-week "live-and-breathe-scuba" camp.

Any thoughts or opinions on my local option?

Sounds like a winner to me, and a good deal to boot. After checkout dives and so forth, that's about what I paid. Free use of the pool is awesome, I'm sure you'll end up taking advantage of it. I wish I had that.

There isn't much Sherwood gear I'd actually recommend, but I'd say go and buy all the required personal gear at the shop, and never let the LDS owner push you into something he sells unless you feel it's exactly the right thing for you. Get your information from multiple sources.. scubaboard, the LDS guy, other divers you know, etc. You make the LDS guy sound reasonable, so don't be shy to let him know he's not your only source for diving info or products. However, also keep in mind that you're getting a pretty good deal. That doesn't mean you're obligated to spend more money than you have to in order to subsidize the business, but it is something to consider.

Thanks, jonnythan - I thought it was a decent deal, too. I was particularly glad to see that we have an active LDS and diving group right here in my backyard. Whichever option I ultimately decide to go with for certification, I'm certainly going to get involved locally so I can keep my gear wet! :D

If all the prospective divers aproached training as you do
i can garentee a safer sport.
I can predict a bright diving future for you and wodn't be surprised if you carry on to Dive Master and instructor.
Howard

<blushing> Geez... thanks, Howard! :)

I guess I look at it this way: I want to be a confident beginning diver. In my puny head, that would translate into being confident about my training and confident that I've got great gear.

If I know I can rely on those two things, it makes perfect sense to me that I will WANT to dive whenever I possibly can, which will give me the EXPERIENCES I need, which will make me a more CONFIDENT diver, and, well... there you have it. IMHO, the simplified formula for having a blast underwater! :wink:

Again - I really appreciate all of your responses. I'm simply amazed at the personal investment many of you have made in my "pre-certification education." If this is any indication what this sport is gonna be like, I wish my c-card was already in my wallet and my gear was waiting by the front door! :D

then some of the vacation dive reports I’ve seen. You have great attention to detail for a –newbie (wink-wink).

I must have just missed you Wednesday night.

Thoughts and opinions? I’m biased and it’ll show. I really like the guy, the shop and the club.

Ask if you can come out and observe the open water checkouts at Nag. Attend a meeting as a guest and meet some of the members. Check out the club website at www.4seasonsscubadivers.com. Give the website a few days as the provider is having some service issues right now. Some DOS attack that makes access r…..e….a….l slow.

The minimal selection of gear on the shelves…..yup. Do a search here on LDS vs. Internet gear purchases.

Have a great weekend and see ya around town

Thanks, aquaviper! I try to pay attention. :)

I agree with you about Dennis - he's a terrific guy and seems like he'd be a hoot. I'm definitely considering the club, as well, which is why I asked him if newbies could join before their initial certification is complete.

Speaking of the club website, I did try to access it after your first post to this thread. I was always gonna PM you and tell you it wasn't working, but forgot! :D I'll give 'er another try today.

Appreciate the advice. If you ever want to get together for a PRE-cert ponzo rotta, drop me a PM and I'll give you my phone number. Actually, it would be real nice to talk gear with somebody, as that's about to become the next can of worms I open around here.

Yeah... you people are gonna get REAL sick of me, alright! "OMG... not another question from Patrick!!" <lol>

aquaviper once bubbled...
Check out the club website at www.4seasonsscubadivers.com. Give the website a few days as the provider is having some service issues right now. Some DOS attack that makes access r…..e….a….l slow.

It's up this morning! Found the link to Dennis' email and shot him off a note of thanks, too. :)

The website server slowdown wasn't from a hacker attack. I'm pretty sure it was caused by mrs. aquaviper loading a gajillion pictures up to her personal page.

Yikes! Not THAT can of worms. I'll save my $.02 for that thread so as not to hikack this one into a free for all.

I'll PM you with my number and we'll see if we can get together or at least have you to the next meeting as a guest.

Adios for now

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom