Newbie question about port plugs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't use a 2nd stage reg with a dry suit?

Some dry suit divers use a small separate tank to inflate their suits, with just a first stage and an LP hose. This tank can contain Argon, which you can't breathe but which has better thermal insulating properties than air. It also has much better insulating properties than Helium, so that's an option if you are diving trimix instead of using your back gas to inflate your dry suit.

I see. You mean a second LP connection.

I was taking about the thing you put in your mouth. 2nd stage regulator.

I see. You mean a second LP connection.

I was taking about the thing you put in your mouth. 2nd stage regulator.

Right. No 2nd stage regulator on the dry suit bottle. Usually non-breathable gas.

You don't use a 2nd stage reg with a dry suit?

You breathe Argon?? :)

Not with a "dry suit inflation system". It's a 1st stage regulator with a "BC" or dry suit inflator hose and a pressure relief valve in the unlikely event the first stage fails, no second stage breathy thingy. This is hooked up to a separate cylinder, normaly a 6-13cf cylinder. It's typically filled with either plain air or Argon.

I just reread the OP and I think this is what he meant:

"Got a new 3100 with primary 2nd stage and LP hose attached BUT WITH AN OPEN UNUSED LP PORT. "

If that is correct, that is probably where an octo went and you are short a LP plug.

There should NOT be an open LP port while diving.

Dry suit inflation system would not have a second stage connected to a LP port. In this case you would install an overpressure relief valve.

True. I wasn't thinking about the dry suit setup. Just the "breathy thingy". LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi ZapDiver,
It looks like everyone else answered your question. As they mentioned the safety issue is that if you were to pressurize a 1st stage that was all plugged up, there would be no safe way to take the regulator off your tank. Also if for some reason the reg was to fail there is no way for air to escape.

Safe Diving,
Jared

Hi ZapDiver,
It looks like everyone else answered your question. As they mentioned the safety issue is that if you were to pressurize a 1st stage that was all plugged up, there would be no safe way to take the regulator off your tank. Also if for some reason the reg was to fail there is no way for air to escape.

Safe Diving,
Jared

Thanks Jared, cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom