Newbie Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hound

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
If this has been asked before then I apologize in advance , but I was wondering about a couple of things.

1) What is the difference between PADI , NAUI & MAUI ? Is one better than the other and what are the differnces.

2) Does it matter what type of fins I purchase as a person new to this sport? I went to a dive shop yesterday and the guy told me it was all personel prefernce. Well since I have never been diving before I don't know which ones will be right for me. I just don't want to get jerked around and buy something I either don't know how to use properly or won't really need just because I'm new and don't know any better....yet.

That's enough to get me investigating this more for now , I know alot of people here are professional divers or have alot of expetise in this field , so any assistance anyone could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S.
Is $350 to much for a tank refill?

Hound once bubbled...
1) What is the difference between PADI , NAUI & MAUI ? Is one better than the other and what are the differnces.
P.S.
Is $350 to much for a tank refill?

Maui is my favorite. Otherwise, they are all about the same.

$350 is just about right, but I'm running a special just for you this week. Only $300/tank refill when you purchase a 10 tank bulk fill card for $3,000. If you order two bulk fill cards, I'll even throw in a trip to the Keys.

Charlie

p.s. You wouldn't also be known as AirHound, would you?

LOL didnt think so I may have misunderstood what he was saying , I think he was telling me that $350 was the cost of the tank.

Hound once bubbled...
LOL didnt think so I may have misunderstood what he was saying , I think he was telling me that $350 was the cost of the tank.
I think he meant $3.50

That's what I pay for air fills.

between PADI, NAUI and MAUI...I'd go for Maui! In fact, I think you can combine MAUI certification with either of the other two.:D

what about he missed the decimal point...

$3.50

I will try not comment in the difference in training agencies that you mention as I have no internal experience with any of them and I could not give you a fair assessment.

My advice on fins: try to get your LDS to let you try out the ones that you wish to compare in the pool. Ours will gladly do that. I know that many others will as well. I won't tell you what to buy, because it depends on your leg strength, your kick, and numerous other factors. Then buy, the fins, mask, and snorkel that seem to work best for YOU. You will be glad that you did.

Thanks for your help. I know I'm going to be addicted to this sport , Like I said I've always been curious about it , now the curiosity is killing me. I am going to go ahead and invest in quality equipment the first time around. Right now I'm just doing some research on the different types of equipment , how it works , what is it's purpose , the Do's and Dont's and some of the terminologies and thier meanings . I want to have some type of working knowledge prior to taking my class , I don't like getting into something and not know anything about it.
I know this is a sport and some may say "Just do it" but none the less , it could still cost you your life if you don't know what your doing , so I want make sure I know what I'm getting into and that I have good equipment and how to use it properly then , I will have fun once I have mastered the basicis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom