Newbie question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dnsss

New
Reaction score
‏ Hi
I'm interesting about CD career for a while and one of my worrys is because I know that it's a lot of construction and underwater laborer work, a man without technical/construction knowledge but with a lot of wiling to learn does he had a decent chance to succeed?
In dive school you learning to use a variety of tools I know but I suppose you become really good during the work ( maybe one of the reasons it's hard to find a work for a new diver)
What do you think about it and what was your technical/mechanical abilities before attending a school?

Tnx a lot ))

A motivated individual always has a chance to succeed. However, getting mechanical skills before diving school can significantly improve your chances. It might also be worth trying to get some of that experience in the industry sector you want to work in. For example, being a welder for an offshore oil production company will look better on a resume to offshore diving contractors than a welder in a land-locked fabrication shop.

Do you have any idea what kind of commercial diving you want to do?

Thank you for a reply I'm certainly very motivated,in the beginning I guess I will look for some inshore work and I'll choose niche later ( or jumping on pretty much every job I can found :)
I thought about welding course but I read it won't be very helpful unless you a top class experienced welder

The thing I have been told repeatedly is "it's easier to teach a welder to dive than it is to teach a diver to weld. "

You will will need good technical skills. Not to belittle commercial diving, but from an employer's point of view, they can tie a rope to anyone and lower them into the water. What skills do you have to do a job when you get down there? You could have awesome dive skills but those skills don't fix the problem you were sent down for. Your diving skill just allows you to do a job that creates value for your employer.

Welding itself is less of the issue than gaining experience in the environment; until you are certified for pressure welds anyway. Welding, rigging, general mechanical skills, seamanship, and time at related industries are all part of the equation that whispers "maybe I'll take a chance on this guy" into the employer's ear.

The closer you pay attention the more you realize that every industry has a lot to know that you can't teach in a school, in a book, or on the Internet. The employer's objective is to spend the least amount of money teaching you during un-billable time as possible. All other things being equal, basic welding skills can be the thing that pushes you ahead of the crowd. Same with Diesel mechanics, deck hands on a crew boat, Navy Boatswain's mates, basic computer skills, and being able to speak to a client without talking like a sailor.

Think like an employer when you want a job or new career. Would you hire you?

Last edited:
When I was in commercial dive school we had a peer who was very bright and very hard working. However, he had zero experience working with his hands. He aced every written test and bombed every practical. He finished school by the skin of his teeth, got offered a few jobs and washed out of the industry the first year.

He finished school by the skin of his teeth, got offered a few jobs and washed out of the industry the first year.

For sure. I even saw a guy years ago with great skills on the surface and in 20' of water at diving school. The problem was he barfed his guts out as soon as the boat left the harbor. He kissed the ground a few days later and went back to his old job. Sea sickness cost him thousands of dollars and about a year of his life.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom