Newbie reel question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mulla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

Looking at purchasing a first reel for launching an SMB at up to 60m (~200ft) depth. Was suggested to have one diving in current prone areas where we can drift a fair distance between 60m and 21m. Currently I only have a finger spool with 30m of line so I can only deploy at 21m.

Being my first reel I have a few questions.

Browsed the DGX website and noticed there's 2 main types, the classic and side handle? What's the main pro and cons of each? The classic handle looks like it can get "hooked" onto stuff if not careful about placement?

Besides that, there's all these different brands. Light Monkey, Dive Rite, Hollis etc... anyone has good experience with either one?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations and experience.

Hi

I am also ballancing the pros and cons here. Primarily I see it as a comfort issue as to whether you hold the reel from the top palm up or in a fist fashion from the side. I see the reeling motion less jerky on the reel holding hand with the side mount. However the hole where you put your hand through may not accompdate wearing of thicker gloves. Since you have to hold teh reel such that the reel is in line with the deployed line, then the top oriented handle may work better if you are reeling with your hands in fromt of you. If you are holding the reel somewhere between your neck and waist then a top handle is comfortable. The side handle i think is less forgiving when your left arm departs from a position natural to an elboe 90 degree bend, which puts you reel at your gut.

Ah ok so it depends on how and where you hold the reel. Hmmm... Might need to borrow some from people to test out before committing them. Thanks for the response.

I have tried both style of reels and find the side handle reels work better and more comfortable than the older style. My personal preference is for Light Monkey for the main reason that you will have a very difficult (if not impossible) time trying to find anyone to say anything bad about any of their products or customer service. The plastic center spools in the Dive Rite reels have a tendency to flare out and bind up, at least on all of my 8 reels they did. The Hollis reel seems to be built much like the Light Monkey, but I have no personal experience with it.

Side reels solve a logistics problem for caver divers running long runs of line. They can maneuver with hands outstretched and to the side with the reel spooling farthest from their body. Reels on lantern handles are convenient for running a DSMB, in my opinion. In a constricted environment, a lantern handle reel wants to put line out below the diver, which is often just fine, but I would prefer to have the line off to the side of my body if I can manage it.

Consider getting a reel friction brake of some sort, it's not a big deal to use your thumb, but anything to reduce task loading is a good idea. And you really really do not want to deal with line un reeling accidentally when you are at 200'.

I have a few spools, but almost never use them. I always cary a DSMB on a Marez 100' compact reel. It's easy to deploy and importantly, easy to reel in. It packs very small. This small reel goes with me on every dive.

My wreck dive instructor required students to use the Manta Jr. dive real with the cave cam. I use this for wreck diving. It's a lantern style reel with an adjustable friction brake, a really easy locking mechanism and a fairly simple mechanism to release the locking mechanism. It's a good reel that does not spool.

I have ambitions for greater tech and cave diving. In anticipation, I found a great deal on light monkey side reel. This has a goodman handle. Never been wet, so I can't say if it would work for running a DSMB.

Bottom line, reels on goodman handles are built to meet the needs of cavers.

I generally favor side-handled reels for all applications. Lantern handles can be prone to tangling - where the design allows too much capacity for the line to snag down the side of the reel. Obviously, not all lantern handles are equally prone - but many of the major brands are poorly designed in that respect. Enough so for me to recommend avoiding that type as generic advice...

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience. I get the impression that side handles are designed for cave application but have their benefits in DSMB deployments too. That benefits outweighs the negatives. I think I'm sold on the side handle...

smorneau - I'm in Australia, might see what the locals have first. Tho I'd probably end up buying from the states in the end due to price.

I love my OMS...which was not one of the choices. But the question begs...why would you want to shoot a SMB from 60m / 200'? Too many complications.

Tony, I was told if you ascend in current, by the time you reach your 21m stop to launch your SMB, you could have drifted too far for the crew to see you in swelly conditions. Thus you should launch from the bottom. It made enough sense to me that I think I should adopt it. Happy to hear opposing thoughts and alternative solutions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom