newbie seeking guidance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reebok

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking for some guidance on getting a new camera setup. I am used to using the disposable underwater cameras, but would like something a bit more substantial. I am mainly looking for information about a simple setup such as an older canon powershot+case vs a gopro or something similar. I am only looking to show what's down there to my friends+family, but on the other hand I want something that looks halfway decent. I am not interested in spending a lot of money, or buying lights beyond my flashlight. the most I would spend would be on a gopro setup that pushes maybe $250 and that's only if I am convinced it's worth it (hd hero2 or hero3 white plus filters). I would prefer a simple point and shoot camera like the canon s50 (~$66 including case), but my main problem is I don't expect much macro stuff. I am more likely to see a fish from 10+ feet away and take its picture. I know a lot depends on ambient light, visibility, backscatter, etc. but is this a viable option for a camera at all or am I better suited to a small video setup like the gopro or intova? my primary diving is the gulf of mexico (tampa) with occasional trips to the east coast (jupiter). Thanks.

Last edited:
I have an Olympus 8010 with underwater housing for sale, $250 plus shipping, it has 2 batteries also. A great starter camera for a low price.
Amazon.com: Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 14MP Digital Camera with 5x Wide Angle Zoom and 2.7 inch LCD (Silver): Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Olympus PT-048 Marine Camera Case - Polycarbonate - Black, Clear 4.19 Inches x 5.18inches x 2.83inhes - Polycarbonate - Black, Clear: Electronics

11 24 12_0176.jpg

I just wrote a blog post about choosing the right camera for a beginner. In brief, I would recommend something basic, but not too basic, which will make you still happy once you develop as an underwater photographer.

Btw, photographing a fish (other than a whale shark) which is 10+ feet away from you usually won't work too well. "Get close, and the get closer" is one of the main rules of underwater photography

Happy shooting,

Klaus

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom