Newbie Seeking OW cert advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blewgrass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am a newbie in Sonoma County getting ready to do my OW cert with Bamboo Reef in Rohnert Park. Other than follow the course dilligently and make sure my health is good, is there anything else anyone would reccomend as a mental and pysical preparation? I've enjoyed reading around here.

Also, I wouldn't mind networking with any other locals to find dive buddies with experience and so forth. I have a 16 foot Boston Whaler that is set up fairly good as a work boat that should be good for diving. (maybe having a boat increases your utility as a dive buddy!) I have a part time job in BB and can launch and camp free.

I have most of the gear other than the bc, retulator, computer, tank, etc. Basically I have all the ab diving gear for the cold conditions here in Nor Cal.

Steve

Last edited:
any / all :wink:

Im a local in Monterey, and can dive very often. If you find yourself down this way and in need of a buddy, or wanting to get one PM me and I can hook you up with my number.

Definitely with the boat -.... hahaha. You are going to be towing SBers behind you because the boat'll be filled! Too funny.

I think that the best thing you can do to prepare physically is to be well rested for your dives, well nourished and hydrated and be in decent physical shape (trust me, I am NOT throwing stones here). As for the mental - be ready to be frustrated by bad viz days, deal with the cold but have faith that it's going to be awesome.

The more I travel and dive whilst travelling, the more I come back to what an awesome place we have to dive in - and right in our backyards!

Best of luck with the certification - let us know how you do!

PS: join in the July meet and greet at MacAbee (if you've finished your cert by then). We'd love to have you and don't bite the newbies! :D

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and sharing your wisdom. You'll probably all hear from me sooner than later. I'm very excited to get my cert. Also I forgot to mention that I took one class in the Florida Keys one year ago in December. It was fun, but the reefs were not in very good shape in FL. I didn't have the time to travel to the better locations. I did enjoy it enough to want to return to the Keys and check it out more. I was really wanting my Whaler down there with the ability to sneak around in the shallows.

I rented a Mako and a Pro Line that was lots of fun, but they handled a bit clunky and I almost ran aground in the flats!! Yikes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom