Newbie to Bonaire looking for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buddy does not do the park anymore. Bummer.

I enjoy doing some boat dives while I'm there, I wish they would do more 2 tank trips! My first trip there we had daily morning 2 tank trips and it was a lot of fun. Make sure you sign up eary for boat dives, since they fill up fast.

Definitely bring lights and do some night diving. Buddy Reef is an awesome night dive!

Buddy does not do the park anymore. Bummer.

I enjoy doing some boat dives while I'm there, I wish they would do more 2 tank trips! My first trip there we had daily morning 2 tank trips and it was a lot of fun. Make sure you sign up eary for boat dives, since they fill up fast.

Definitely bring lights and do some night diving. Buddy Reef is an awesome night dive!
Agree on Park.

Because I take groups to Buddy Dive, and we always have our own boat, ALL our morning boat dives are 2-tank. We typically have a 9-boat package, and use them (for example) 1xSunday PM, 2xMonday AM and 1xMon PM, 2xWeds AM and 1xWeds PM, and 2xFri AM. That leaves Sunday AM, and all Tues and Thurs open for shore excursions, Nobody has to go on the boat, their choice, but most do, and some even sign up for additional boat dives on Tues and Thurs.

My last trip was the first one that had boat dives included as it was one arranged by our dive shop. I found doing the afternoon dive on the boat relaxing after zipping around in the truck and diving in the morning. Then fall off the dock at sunset for a nice dusk/night dive.

I would also think about a trip to the east side to boat dive there once your daughter has built up some confidence earlier in the trip. If you want to see "big stuff' like multiple turtles, rays and possible sharks, the east side provides a very different Bonaire experience. Boat diving the east side is easy, shore diving there can be challenging.

Buddy Dive boat dives can be crowded and the DMs recently have "herded" their divers, which is quite a change from my prior experience.

Did not particularly enjoy boat diving with them in December whereas I always did on prior trips.

Went to Bonaire last October with my wife for our honeymoon. We had just got our certification, so we were still fairly new to everything. We found the boat dives to be helpful with that. We stayed at the Carib Inn, and the divemasters there were really great. Never felt "herded" or rushed, and were very kind to us newbies. It was a good way to ease into diving in a new place.

Now that we have some more dives under our belt, I think we would do more shore dives, and maybe a couple boat dives in the afternoon. The shore diving is just so easy there, and who doesn't like bombing around in an old stick-shift pickup? I cannot wait to go back!

As I mentioned, at Buddy Dive in December. One DM at the front and one at the back of the group. Everyone forced to stay together and at same pace. In 30 years of boat diving I have never felt so regimented. We left some pre paid boat dives unused and went shore diving instead.

As I mentioned, at Buddy Dive in December. One DM at the front and one at the back of the group. Everyone forced to stay together and at same pace. In 30 years of boat diving I have never felt so regimented. We left some pre paid boat dives unused and went shore diving instead.

Interesting, our group was there in May, we had one DM, always leading and they (3 different ones) were never regimented, just wanted us to stay somewhere within sight. The entire boat was our group which are all experienced divers which may have helped.

The beauty of Bonaire is diving from the shore or the boat. Either one will provide a surreal and fun experience. Bonaire is a diver's island unlike all of the other Caribbean islands including Cozumel that I've been to.. You and your daughter will have a blast.

She hasn't ever done any shore divin
There's some easier entry sites - one is Windsock - it;s literally a walk in off the beach. Most of the dive resorts around Buddy's have dive docks also - and stairs.

See a lot of the entries here - Scuba Shore Diving Region: ABC Islands

Salt Pier is another interesting shallow dive. Often tarpon under the pier. We enter off the little sandy beach between where most people park and the pier itself - there is ironshore in the water there so try to be floating as soon as possible

After doing shore diving all week, getting on the boat and dealing with all the other divers, on the boat and in the water, I would stay away from boat diving. Shore diving is so nice and relaxing, many memorable moments for you and your daughter. Have fun doing Bonaire shore diving and save the boats for the places you can't shore dive.

Back
Top Bottom