Newbie to dSLR- Oly 330- Question about old lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fire Coral

Registered
Reaction score
SF Bay area, CA Originally from Chicago, IL
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a (probably dumb) question being very new to dSLR.

I just got the new Olympus 330 dSLR and hope to be using it underwater in the near future. I had an Oly 5050z, PT-015 housing, the Inon UWL-100 Wide Angle, and two UCL-165 Macro Lenses. Unfortunately, the 5050z and our video camera were both stolen on a recent trip. On the bright side, my husband upgraded me to the 330 SLR for my B-day after we received the insurance settlement. (Always insure your gear- we were grateful that we did!)

So, here is my "dumb" question. I still have the Inon lenses. Can either the Wide Angle or the Macro lenses be used in conjunction with an adapter on the underwater housing for the Oly 330 (added on to a lens port housing)? Or are these lenses only usable with point and shoot cameras? Olympus has a housing for the 330, the PT-E02, which I have not yet purchased. I have the 14-45 mm lens and the 40-150 mm lens, but have not yet purchased a macro lens or extention tube.

Thanks to anyone who is able to enlighten this newbie!:05:

Fire Coral:
I have a (probably dumb) question being very new to dSLR.

I just got the new Olympus 330 dSLR and hope to be using it underwater in the near future. I had an Oly 5050z, PT-015 housing, the Inon UWL-100 Wide Angle, and two UCL-165 Macro Lenses. Unfortunately, the 5050z and our video camera were both stolen on a recent trip. On the bright side, my husband upgraded me to the 330 SLR for my B-day after we received the insurance settlement. (Always insure your gear- we were grateful that we did!)

So, here is my "dumb" question. I still have the Inon lenses. Can either the Wide Angle or the Macro lenses be used in conjunction with an adapter on the underwater housing for the Oly 330 (added on to a lens port housing)? Or are these lenses only usable with point and shoot cameras? Olympus has a housing for the 330, the PT-E02, which I have not yet purchased. I have the 14-45 mm lens and the 40-150 mm lens, but have not yet purchased a macro lens or extention tube.

Thanks to anyone who is able to enlighten this newbie!:05:

Short answer: no

For the 14-45mm you will need the PPO-01 port. For wide options you will need the 7-14mm with the PPO-E04 port and PER-E02 extension ring. For macro you can use the 50mm with the PPO-03 for 1:2 macro. Olympus also has the 35mm lens for 1:1 macro (not sure about ports). I hope your hubby's credit card is geared-up for some wear-and-tear :05: .

Reye,

Thanks for the quick reply. I had figured that was the case, but wanted to make sure.
Now I will need to decide whether to put the Inon lenses and the housing for the 5050 on eBay, or get a used 5050 for my daughter to use...
decisions, decisions... if only money were no object... LOL

You know my B-day is coming up as well!! If I may ask how much are the E-330 going for and was it a good value with the lens included. I am interested in just the body only and buy an wide 8mm and 50mm macro prime lenses.

I would keep the 5050 housing, get a used 5050 and ebay the Inon lense. The 5050 would make a great backup for the E-330 for normal angle an macro shots. As far as image quality the Inon lense is a "toy" compared to the Olympus lenses.

Here is the package that we got:
Evolt E-330 w/14-45 mm Lens outfit
Olympus Zuiko 40-150 mm f3.5-4.5 Lens
Microfiber cleaning cloth
$1149.95

We also bought an Olympus 2 yr Extended Waranty for $99.95

The above was from:
Cameta Camera
8400 New Horizons Blvd.
Amtyville, NY 11701

800-991-3350
Local/internatinal: 631-389-2138
Email: AUCTIONS@CAMETA.COM

Have a great birthday- mine is actually the 19th, so the camera was an early gift.

Fire Coral:
Here is the package that we got:
Evolt E-330 w/14-45 mm Lens outfit
Olympus Zuiko 40-150 mm f3.5-4.5 Lens
Microfiber cleaning cloth
$1149.95

We also bought an Olympus 2 yr Extended Waranty for $99.95

The above was from:
Cameta Camera
8400 New Horizons Blvd.
Amtyville, NY 11701

800-991-3350
Local/internatinal: 631-389-2138
Email: AUCTIONS@CAMETA.COM

Have a great birthday- mine is actually the 19th, so the camera was an early gift.

Thanks, you got a good deal. If you would please post some sample images from the E-330 and the 14-45mm zoom at its widest angle (14mm) and camera to subject distances of 6 inches or less...even land shots, Thanks

f3nikon:
Thanks, you got a good deal. If you would please post some sample images from the E-330 and the 14-45mm zoom at its widest angle (14mm) and camera to subject distances of 6 inches or less...even land shots, Thanks

The 14-45 nor the 40-150 will focus on a subject 6" away.

Obviously the current 35 and 50 macros will focus that closesly and I'm assuming the upcoming 100mm will also focus to that distance.

The 14-54 is supposed to focus at ~8.5" according to Oly, but most users agree that it focuses closer than advertised(maybe 6"?). I don't have that lense(yet), so I can't confirm.

14mm from 14-45mm on E500

DestinJetties_9_1_13_6.jpg

DestinJetties_3_1_13_6.jpg

I have the 14-45, 40-50, 11-22, 50, & 55-200(Sigma) if you need samples from any of em. Focal range should be identical while on the E330, both bodies have the 2x crop factor.

Thank you, Thank you, that’s a pretty good lens, no distortion even on the straight horizon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom