Newbie with specifics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaeckert

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

Thank you to everyone taking the time to read this post(sorry for the length); and thank you even more to those taking the time to reply.

This is yet another request for some guidance for a “wanna-be” underwater photographer. I have read the previous similar threads, before starting this one in hopes of asking all of you to repeat yourselves, in hopes that I might find answers to my questions. Instead, they only managed to raise more questions. To make this different, I am hoping that by being more specific about what I hope to get out of my equipment, you might be able to be more specific with some recommendations (and thereby greatly narrow this almost limitless topic).

About me:
1. I am a 48 year old ROOKIE diver who just re-certified in February after a 25 year surface interval (and have NO delusions of my abilities (and lack thereof)). I am comfortable, and competent, in the water, and have no need to test my limits (though I am always trying to expand my limits in a safe manner).
2. I am fully aware of the added task loading and the need for a competent buddy who will give extra attention to keeping both of us safe (not negating my own responsibilities to my self and my buddy). As well as the need to ALWAYS prioritize safe diving before taking pictures.
3. I live in Idaho and have 2 dive shops (three brick & mortar shops) to seek recommendations (which is why I am coming to you). SeaLife is the only camera offered.
4. My previous (read 25 + years ago) equipment experience: land - Canon AE-1 (owned and used for 8 years), diving- Nikonos IV (used my older brother’s on three occasions). I understand u/w photography is a whole different animal than shooting on land.
5. I plan to be traveling (out of country), for recreational diving, at least 4 weeks every year (as well as weekly local fresh water diving 4-5 months a year).

What I want to do with, get out of, my equipment:
5. I want more than just “memory/souvenir” snapshots. (I have seen plenty of the monochrome, blue/green, minimal detail pictures. They leave me quite uninspired.) I want something I would be proud to frame and display in my home. Something that will give me the excitement and thrill I feel every time I enter the water. Something that will show all the color and detail I see first hand. (I have no desire for publication or commercial viewing; this is for my personal enjoyment only.)
6. I want something that will do a reasonable job out of the box with minimal fiddling as I am learning (and thereby keep the task loading to a minimum). But will allow me to grow with it as I gain experience, skill, confidence, and knowledge. (Note: I am aware that to become skilled at anything; I must put in the time to practice, practice, and practice. I am willing to invest this time and effort. None of this will happen overnight, and may not happen at all… we all have skills, as well as limits. This too; I am willing to accept.)
7. I want the best my money/budget can buy. I have learned that this (usually) is the best way to “future proof” any purchase and would be happy if this was the last “system” I bought (alright… at least for a few years :blinking:).

My desires:
8. RAW format.
9. Suitable for travel. Smaller is better. I do not suffer from “camera envy.” Mine does not have to be bigger, more complicated, or more expensive than yours.
10. Post production tweaking would be very nice… able to fix my minor errors, and add a touch more pizzazz than my current skill level might allow; again I am fully aware there are limits to what this can do.
11. (LOWEST priority) something I could use both on land as well as in water. In water performance, though, is my highest priority.

My Budget:
12. I would be real happy between $1,000 and $2,000.
13. Max cap of $3000 (though that makes my stomach a little queasy; however if it is a night/day difference, I am willing to listen).

My questions:
14. Point & Shoot (P & S), Single Lens Reflex (SLR), and now Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens (EVIL)! What really makes a difference and what is arguing the 11th decimal point of pi (really only impacting the professional photographer)? (When all else is equal I prefer to defer to “smaller and more simple.”)
15. Dry vs. Wet lenses. Does this make a big difference for my parameters as stated above? Is this something I should be giving consideration to?
16. Housings, and lighting?? I don’t even have a clue where to begin (manufacturers/features/quality). Not to mention the needed accessories, care, and maintenance supplies I need to think about in conjunction with my possible choice.

What I hope to get from you (this is the last; I promise):
17. Specific manufactures and models you feel would be appropriate to my goals and, or, those you feel I should stay away from. Please feel free to include supporting equipment (i.e. housing, lighting, …).
Disclaimer: I am soliciting your opinions. I hold no individual, this site, its advertisers, nor any manufactures, responsible for any replies made to this inquiry nor any possible choices I may, or may not, make following this inquiry :D. Honestly, I know I am the one and only person who can make this decision. I am only looking to focus my attention to that which will work for me, and you can only tell me what worked (or didn’t) for you. I promise not to take anyone’s word for gospel and come back and say “but you said…!”

Thanks again if you managed to wade through all of this (but I was afraid I wasn’t this specific, you guys would end up all over the place again… you all must be more A.D.D. than I am! :shocked2:). Honestly, I am grateful for this whole diving community forum and all of those who take the time to share their own experiences to enrich, enlighten, and encourage, the rest of us.

Joel

Given $3K with a preference to lower dollars pretty much rules out any DSLR solution except something like a Canon T2i in an Ike or S&S housing but that would still be a stretch. The camera with kit lens is $900 and the Ike housing is $1400 so that leaves a bit for a strobe and some arms. The good news is if you go that way you could easily add lenses, and ports as you move forward. The bad news is that you will be maxed out dollar wise with not much flexibility.

The next step downward in price/complexity/size is one of the micro 4/3 or Sony NEX-5 system. You could easily go the EPL-2 route with the Olympus housing. This will get you in the water for about $1200. Add a strobe and some arms and you are at $1700 or so. Then add on a macro or wide angle lens and you have some great opportunities to take great pics. The NEX-5 is a bigger sensor camera but there is no simple housing (like Olympus) and it would be quite a bit more $ to get the equivalent.
The next step down is P&S and here the main choices are the S95 or G12 from Canon. There are a plethora of housings out there from $300 versions from Canon to RecSea at $1200 and so on.

If it were me, though, I would probably take a look at the for sale systems here and on Wetpixel. For $2500 you can get a $5K system from a couple of years ago that someone upgraded just to have the best and latest gear.

Bill

An Oly E-PL1/E-pl2 in the olympus housing + a strobe would be a nice option. You definitely want a good quality strobe for good color / exposure. Feel free to call with any questions.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom