Newbie worries, Advice??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well the best I advice I can give you from my inexpereience is to stay calm and breath deeply, aside from that I'll be there next to you hoping that you nailing every skill and anxious that my turn to do them is next.
=) thanks baby!

Can you guys tell me what to expect on a checkout dive? Like usually the protocol instructors go by of there is one?

My checkout dives were similar to my pool sessions. We were kneeling on the bottom and did our skills. We also went on a tour of the lake that we were in so we got to swim around also.

I did all the skills fine except I had a bit of trouble taking off my mask, placing it back on and then draining it from water. I ended up getting quite a bit of water up my nose but when my instructor held my shoulder I relaxed and was able to recover.

I had the same issue in the pool at first. Then I told the instructor (before next dive) that I was not comfortable as I was trying to rush through and that on my next attempt I will just take it off, do few breaths w/o mask and then put it on and clear. He was ok with it and that is what I did.

I found out that if you do not rush things it is much easier. (Obviously you need to find your regulator ASAP and stick it in your mouth, purge and breath, but mask can wait :)

Slow and easy wins the race for me.

I do at least partial mask clearing on EVERY dive so far (at 34 dives since June of this year now).

If you have any concerns, speak to the instructor, they should already be aware of any problems and be ready to assist you in any way they can.

You are paying to be taught and to be taken care of, this is a fun sport, you should not be worried about an individual skill. They should already have been fully explained and demonstrated to you, and you perform them untill you show Mastery of that skill.

Good luck with your course

I would like to say that all the advise here is realy good and I would like to add a little thing my instructor showed us for mask removale. Like mentioned befor slowly flood your mask and when you remove your mask put your thumb. in the knose indention of the mask . That way when you go to put your mask back on you know were the mask is orientate Just stick your thumb to your knose and slide the strap over your head adjust the mask seal to your face clear the mask . this may take more than one breth to cleare it fully . Remember to take your time you have air and as you practice this it will get easier and you will be able to do it with out thinking about it . Congrads to you and have FUN

HAVE FUN DIVE SAFE

KEN

ScubaGirlJg

See if you can distinguish your feelings as anxious excitement as opposed to anxiety. There is a big difference.

Having your torso vertical in the water (sitting or kneeling) will set you up for discomfort. Your regulator delivers air for the depth in front of it. When vertical your lungs as considerably deeper. This can be very noticeable and unsettling if you are not a strong diaphragm breather. When you are actually diving (or doing skills) in a prone position the depth of the regulator and lungs are very close and breathing becomes more natural. This means that with good trim on source of your "anxiety" should take care of itself.

Your instructor should feel that you are capable of the skills before moving you to open water. You may not enjoy some of the skills or be polished but this is a learning process. Nearly all of the things that stress new divers diminish with continued exposure so just stay with it. Millions of mere mortals before you have achieved this goal and they are no better than you, right?

Most dive training, especially pool work is not at all like diving. Most dive courses are highly focused on disaster mitigation so you probably are spending most of your time recovering from one mishap after another. It can be intense and overwhelming but actually diving once certified is an entirely different experience. You are paying your dues so you can stay safe and assist those that you dive with.

Your open water dives should consist of performing the same skills you have already been doing as well as some time simply diving with the instructor and other students in some configuration. As you perform these skills in open water you will probably experience information overload as you begin to enjoy your new playground. Just stay focused and do your best. Trust me, it will be worth the effort.

Pete

I had the same issue in the pool at first. Then I told the instructor (before next dive) that I was not comfortable as I was trying to rush through and that on my next attempt I will just take it off, do few breaths w/o mask and then put it on and clear. He was ok with it and that is what I did.

I found out that if you do not rush things it is much easier. (Obviously you need to find your regulator ASAP and stick it in your mouth, purge and breath, but mask can wait :)

Slow and easy wins the race for me.

I do at least partial mask clearing on EVERY dive so far (at 34 dives since June of this year now).
I definitely feel the same way....when I am doing the skill I feel rushed....but when I take my time I do it right everytime....its just the anxiousness of getting it all right quickly!

ScubaGirlJg

See if you can distinguish your feelings as anxious excitement as opposed to anxiety. There is a big difference.

Having your torso vertical in the water (sitting or kneeling) will set you up for discomfort. Your regulator delivers air for the depth in front of it. When vertical your lungs as considerably deeper. This can be very noticeable and unsettling if you are not a strong diaphragm breather. When you are actually diving (or doing skills) in a prone position the depth of the regulator and lungs are very close and breathing becomes more natural. This means that with good trim on source of your "anxiety" should take care of itself.

Your instructor should feel that you are capable of the skills before moving you to open water. You may not enjoy some of the skills or be polished but this is a learning process. Nearly all of the things that stress new divers diminish with continued exposure so just stay with it. Millions of mere mortals before you have achieved this goal and they are no better than you, right?

Most dive training, especially pool work is not at all like diving. Most dive courses are highly focused on disaster mitigation so you probably are spending most of your time recovering from one mishap after another. It can be intense and overwhelming but actually diving once certified is an entirely different experience. You are paying your dues so you can stay safe and assist those that you dive with.

Your open water dives should consist of performing the same skills you have already been doing as well as some time simply diving with the instructor and other students in some configuration. As you perform these skills in open water you will probably experience information overload as you begin to enjoy your new playground. Just stay focused and do your best. Trust me, it will be worth the effort.

Pete
Thank you for your wonderful advice! I think it is one of the best pieces of advice I have gotten so far. I do agree with you that when in the vertical position while doing the skills made it harder for me to breath but after we finished the skills we got to swim around and I felt like I had been doing this for years!! It was so much fun and I do agree that the tough work must be done first in order to be able to enjoy the playground to the max and safely. Thanks again!

The night before my test dives I felt a lot of anxiety and wasn't sure I could do it. I called my then 15yr old nephew( that was already an avid diver) to ask for advice in dealing with my fears. He's reply put me at ease and I've kept that in mind as I went for my aow certification. He said " Just keep in mind that your instructor is there with you and he's not going to let anything happen to you."

I actually found the open water dives easier and more relaxed. It is easier to control boyancy at 20' than it is at 10'. I think that being able to control boyancy made it easier for me. You have already done them in the pool. Open water is no different, as stated before just try to relax and remember what you have already done. Think about what you are doing and take your time. The result, getting your card, opens the world to so much fun, remember your goal and think about the world you are able to enter upon completion.

Back
Top Bottom