Newbie worries, Advice??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was stressed about my checkout dives, I absolutly hated clearing and taking my mask off in the pool, for me it was easy to stand up and say I could not do it. During my final c/o dive the mask and removal were the pieces I was stressed about, instructor pointed to me, off came the mask, back on it went and I cleared it quickly, without having to tip my head, etc. He kept pointing to my mask, (really bad visability and cold), I pointed that I was done.

When we surfaced, he could not believe that his "remedial" student was good at mask removal, personally when the chips are down and I have to do something, I do it, I am good under presure.

Just relax, I have decided the anticipation of the skills are 1000x worse than having to do them. August 2, 2009, I am now a certified ow diver.

i can definitely relate - i get very nervous diving AND taking tests. haha bad combination

Do not be afraid to ask for another pool session. When my wife and I certified, she was simply not ready for open water skills testing when the class was scheduled. Our instructor was great, offered a couple of private sessions and got her (notice I am blaming her!) and me more comfortable. This is not a race to finish your training, but an effort to get you ready. Now she is as excited about diving as I am.

I would like to say that all the advise here is realy good and I would like to add a little thing my instructor showed us for mask removale. Like mentioned befor slowly flood your mask and when you remove your mask put your thumb. in the knose indention of the mask . That way when you go to put your mask back on you know were the mask is orientate Just stick your thumb to your knose and slide the strap over your head adjust the mask seal to your face clear the mask . this may take more than one breth to cleare it fully . Remember to take your time you have air and as you practice this it will get easier and you will be able to do it with out thinking about it . Congrads to you and have FUN

HAVE FUN DIVE SAFE

KEN

We must have had the same instructor. Mine also gave the thumb in the mask tip.

I also was irritated when we had to sit at the bottom of the pool and the bubbles escaping my regulator was hitting my mask...

I have always used the side exhaust Oceanic Omega II regulators. They're obsolete so I cornered the world's market buying them on eBay. None of mine have the newer swivel.

Oceanic Omega II Regulator

Then there is the "Put Your Bubbles Behind You" approach:

Two Hose Regulator Fitted T-Shirt > Vintage Scuba Gift Shop : Vintage Scuba Supply Gift Shop - T-shirts Mugs

A lot of photographers like these old double hose regulators.

Seriously, don't worry about the bubbles. Most often, they are a sign that you are breathing!

Richard

Couple of things:

First, most instructors will do another pool session one-on-one with you if you feel very uncomfortable. Let them know you're really worried, and they'll likely come through.

Second, be prepared to have to equalize a lot more than in the pool. The first 30' of a dive is the greatest pressure differential, percentage wise, so it is the area where the most equalization is needed. Descend slowly and equalize early and often. It won't hurt to check out this video: http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/ and practice some of the alternate techniques -- they might come in handy.

3) Buoyancy will be easier. You have a little more leeway at depth, so don't worry about having to work too hard to stay down.

4) Cold water can seem intimidating, but trust your wet-suit and realize that you're gonna warm up quick. Be aware it'll be cold at first, but it's just like getting into a colder pool. It warms up as you get used to it and the wet suit does it's thing.

5) Most people are more nervous for the open water dives than for the pool sessions. You have a greater sense of being "graded" and the new environment makes it seem different than the pool. Take a big deep breath and realize that you've done all these skills to your instructor's satisfaction. Trust that he knows how to keep your safe. That's his job. And something he's been trained to do.

Realize that the differences are not very great at all. The visibility is a little worse (hopefully), and the temperature is a little different, but water is water. Being under pressure at 12' is no different in most respects than being under pressure at 60'. For the recreational diver, what mostly changes is how long you can be at those depths.

If you have a training video, watch it a few times. Practice your skills in your living room. Seriously. Put your mask on and visualize doing all those skills. Walk through them in your mind and move your body just as you would have to under water. Imagine what it will feel like under water. That sort of mental preparation can really help.

You'll do fine -- mostly relax, relax and relax. It'll go fast, and before you know it you will be certified. Try to manage to look around and enjoy yourself a little while you're down there.

Hey Scubagirl!

I dont my checkout dives on Saturday. And I was pretty scared too! And my confined dives were only in a pool of 7ft water!! So I was scared of going into the open ocean, because I know I can't just swim back up if anything happened.

I did have trouble staying calm, because I breathed quite quickly...! Also I wasn't "streamlined" or kicking my fins properly.

Anyways, I done the excercises, and realized it was fine! To be honest, Might sound crazy, but I enjoyed doing the excercises! I find it hard when the instructor is watching me do them. Especially the mask clearing. But if it goes wrong just do it again.

Just think it's like being a pool. Its easier in the open water i think, because you know it's not like the pool, cos the pool you can easily swim to the top etc...you'll be surprised how much easier it is in the open water =]! You'll love it!!

I had exactly the same anxiety about the mask clearing skill and had problems with it right up till I did my open water dives in Akumal, Mexico. There was something about sitting on a nice sandy bottom and looking at the absolutely clear water that was so relaxing that when it came time to do the skill it was no problem. I guess that means we just have to relax in order to do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom