Newish to CT and looking for Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SMStelzel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all. I moved from Monterey, CA to New London, CT in April. I have now been out of the water for a couple months and am beginning to jones for a bit of underwater time. I am not unfamiliar to cold water diving, but I am not familiar with the local water and was hoping there might be someone in the area who might be looking for someone to dive with.

Welcome to the NE. I’m afraid you are in for a shock. Diving the East coast is not like the West coast. The west coast has cold water and rough surf but can have great visibility. We have the cold and rough water but the vis is lacking. Here diving from shore 10’ is good 20’ is great 30’ vis is rare. We even have great whites too except you can’t see them!

If you want to go diving some weekend contact me. I’m always looking for new people to dive with and someone that is already experienced is a plus.

You might also want to connect with charters and dive groups out of Eastern Long Island. There's a fast ferry from your town to Montauk, LI. (I haven't been diving on Eastern Long Island, but a number of buddies have and have enjoyed it.)

Welcome to East Coast diving!

SECONN Divers host group dives a couple of times a month in Stonington Point, I believe. You can find them on Facebook. Most CT divers venture north to Fort Wetherill, RI, or Cape Ann, MA, considered by many to be the mecca of northeast diving. Cape Ann shore dives are awesome.

If you would like to check out sites before getting wet feel free to check out some of our dive videos. We have been filming dive sites for 5 years with over 100 sites to explore. Here is a short video explaining most of or websites features.

Thanks Everyone for the advice. I was already expecting low vis. I have never seen a great white so I am ok with continuing not seeing them. After Dark, I will likely take you up on your offer some weekend.

KapitanSparrow is right about SECONN - we host dives at Stonington Point the 1st and 3rd (and 5th) Tuesdays from May to August. There are also dives on Wednesdays led by Diver's Cove (shop in Essex) folks. The SECONN facebook page often has posts about people looking for buddies (to places like Fort Wetherill and Cape Ann). It's a very active club (you can check us out at seconndivers(dot)org).

Welcome to CT!

Thank you LittleOne. On Another note, my previous dive shop will be sending the drysuit I bought before leaving Monterey soon. As I have never actually dove dry can anyone recommend a dive shop in the area for a dry suit class?

Hey there! There are quite a few shops in the area that can help you out. The closest to you is Seaview Scuba in Quaker Hill (5-10 minutes north of New London), the other ones in the area are Diver's Cove (Essex), AquaSports (Gales Ferry), and New England Diving (Wallingford).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom