Newly certified Nov 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many thanks to all for tips and best wishes. I will let the DM know about my concerns and dive history. I had a great dive instructor who was very patient and encouraging--and he stressed safety above all. So I can say I am very pleased with the training I received, and a little apprehension (like many are telling me) is a good thing. Thanks again.

Hi Gary
I'm not able to get the name of the company doing the dive in St. Maarten yet. I've emailed my friend who booked our cruise and asked him to find out. Hopefully, the company will be the friends of one of my instructors..he said he would let them know I was booked for the dive, and ask to keep an eye on me. That would make me feel better also, but either way....I can't wait to get back into the water. Thanks for the reply.
Rhonda

Dive Safaris Dive Safaris - St Maarten's Best Scuba Diving Experience! is most likely who you will be going with. I've done cruise ship diving twice and had a fantastic time on both cruises. On the Disney Cruise last month we did St Maarten and St Thomas. If you are using, and you probably are, Dive Safaris; they pick you up right on the cruise ship dock. My wife and I had a great time and the crew was excellent! I also take all of my own gear, you'll never go wrong taking your own equipment. Rinsing it is a little of a pain. Will you have a balcony? I hang all of my stuff out to dry, I'm sure the cruise ship staff isn't pleased...

Have Fun,
Gary

I'm taking my own equipment too. I don't have a balcony---don't like heights...isn't that a hoot?Thanks for the info.
Rhonda

That explains the scuba diving......

Welcome to the club. Great advise from everyone on this thread they are right, you'll probably amaze yourself at how comfortable you will be diving tropical water. Remember, if you can breathe everything else can be worked out. Just be honest with the DM and/or buddy about your remaining air.

Only other thing I could add is to make absolutely certain of the hand signals your DM and/or buddy wants to use underwater. You may have seen pictures in your manual but not everybody uses the same signals. Air and communication with other divers.. In my opinion, the top two "musts". While there is an obvious difference between 25' and 60', you won't even know it without looking at your depth gauges. Really, you just can't feel it other than equalizing a little more on the descent. The same skills you learned at 25' are the same you will use at 60'.

Congratulations in joining the family, my advice is get in as much bottom time as you can before your trip. The more you dive the more comfortable you will get. I bought my gear in May and till then only had my 4 cert dives, I am now at 52 logged. The more you dive the more natural it will get, the more natural it gets the more comfortable you will be, in other words practice, practice, practice. I would also suggest taking the AOW Class training will also help your mental outlook.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom