Newly certified Nov 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaccrn

Registered
Reaction score
I'm proud to announce I've completed my open water dives in Logansport, IN and am now NAUI certified! I need some advice on an upcoming dive in St. Maarten that I've scheduled as an excursion with Royal Carribean. The max depth I've experienced was 25 feet in 49 degree fresh water. This upcoming dive is 60 to 70 feet, salt water wreck and reef dives. I have my own equipment, and am taking it with me. I'm just a little nervous going that deep with only 4 open water dives under my belt. Has anyone had experience with this similar situation? Any advice?

Tell the DM you are new and have some thoughts. Best thing you could do.

He will not be your instructor, chaperone or lifeguard, but he might pinch hit as one if has an inkling of what is coming.

They are used to watching cruise ship divers pretty carefuly, and at this stage in your diving, that could be a big plus. You are still in charge of your own safety, so telling the DM, quietly, certainly is a part of that responsibility.

As in all things in life: communication is the key. When you are underwater and you've a rubber plug in your pie hole, it's too late for a chat. Loosen up, lighten up, follow the process you learned and were taught. It will all fall into place.

First of all, don't be nervous about going a little deeper. I'm not going to say there is no difference, but the difference between diving to to 25 feet and diving to 60 isn't all that great. Just a few more times you have to equalize.

Second, just take it all slow, relax, don't do anything that makes you feel uncomfortable, don't do anything outside of what you're trained for, and have fun with it.

Third, like RoatanMan said, just mention to the DM any concerns you might have so he at least has a heads up.

The vis should be a lot better you should also be wearing less Neoprene and there for weight all of these will make the dive easier. Just keep in mind there can be current in the ocean.

Stay within you comfort level and have a great time.

Congratulations!

Having certified under your local conditions your cruise diving will be a very different experience. And it's almost all upside. Prepare to land in the water, look down and say holly crap, this is what it's all about. I love my local diving but let's face it your and my local diving is not the stuff they use to sell high definition TVs!

Two big things that have been mentioned...

1. Apprise the dive master of your status.

2. You are the diver. Have a dive plan and watch your air and depth. When you hit the turn pressure DO NOT hesitate to give the DM the signal. Face the fact that as a new diver you may be the one ending the dive for the gang. That's not a sure thing by any measure but be prepared to be that diver.

60-70 feet is fine. If it's a serious drift or much deeper looking for something else would be wise.

Look at it this way.... Many of us got certified and made our subsequent dives with peers and no supervision whatsoever. You will be in the water with at least 1 pro and in all likelihood a good number of seasoned divers.

Have fun!

Pete

Congratulations!

Having certified under your local conditions your cruise diving will be a very different experience. And it's almost all upside. Prepare to land in the water, look down and say holly crap, this is what it's all about. I love my local diving but let's face it your and my local diving is not the stuff they use to sell high definition TVs!

Two big things that have been mentioned...

1. Apprise the dive master of your status.

2. You are the diver. Have a dive plan and watch your air and depth. When you hit the turn pressure DO NOT hesitate to give the DM the signal. Face the fact that as a new diver you may be the one ending the dive for the gang. That's not a sure thing by any measure but be prepared to be that diver.

60-70 feet is fine. If it's a serious drift or much deeper looking for something else would be wise.

Look at it this way.... Many of us got certified and made our subsequent dives with peers and no supervision whatsoever. You will be in the water with at least 1 pro and in all likelihood a good number of seasoned divers.

Have fun!

Pete

Good advice Pete.

:)

scubaccrn: have a great time in St.Marten! The only thing I'd add to the above is: Don't rush at the beginning of the dive. Follow the steps you learned, ensure you are comfortable and set to go, then have a great dive.

Bjorn

This upcoming dive is 60 to 70 feet, salt water wreck and reef dives. . . . Any advice?

1. Stay on the outside of the wreck until you've had training for overhead environments.

2. Have fun!

you will be a lot more relaxed in the warm water with good vis. You won't even notice the extra depth. Just keep control of your bouyancy and make sure you surface slowly. pay attention to your computer and air gauge. all of the things you just learned.
you have the added advantage of all of the information being fresh in your mind. Add to that the fact that you learned under more difficult conditions than you will be diving in the tropics, and I think you will be pleasently surprised.
The fact that you are concerned is good. It will make you a more cautious diver.
Enjoy!

First off, congrats. Enjoying life as a subsurface air breather is something I highly recommend. As for your diving in St Maarten, I wouldn't worry about having the jitters. Your certification dives were done in a much more challenging environment. Being a little on edge is good, it will keep you thinking. What company are you using for your dives, I did a couple dives with Dive Safaris last month and they seemed to be a good operation. I was on a Disney Cruise with the family...

Have a great time,
Gary

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom