Newly Certified... who to dive with???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless you hire a private DM, they will not "take extra care" of you
Unduly pessimistic as a general statement. We and several other operators here give whatever attention is required for each individual diver. We (many of us) have small groups and are quite prepared, logistics permitting, to staff a dive on a one-to-one basis when there is such a need.

Remember, there is absolutely no requirement for any kind of certification for any guide (almost) anywhere in the world to take you out for a dip
You did say almost everywhere. Throughout Belize there are stringent requirements for dive guides, both in terms of their diving abilities and qualifications and in terms of their guiding abilities. Every guide must pass a gruelling and extensive course to be certified as a guide, and that has to be renewed each year. And most dive guides that I know, certainly all of mine, are either certified divemasters or instructors. There must also be adequate insurance in place in case something does go wrong.

I'm not starry-eyed and I do know that these rules are sometimes breached, but I equally know that that is not common and the sanctions on both individual and employer are quite draconian. In my immediate area (San Pedro) I don't know of any operator that doesn't apply these rules strictly.

Thank you for the information. So far, the suggestion for hiring a private DM is CoCoView....are there any others?

I know that the ship uses Anthony's Key for their diving excursion... given the information that I have provided you with, do you think it is a better idea to NOT book with the ship, in case it is a large group???

I can't advise you, but personally I would try not to go on the ship's excursion precisely because it will probably be busy. Also remember that the ship will always give priority to guests it has booked and is making a (substantial) profit on. That means they'll all be disembarked before you, reembarked after you, and the ship will wait for them if they're late. They won't wait for you if you're on DIY and you're not back by the appointed time.

Worse, I've heard of them not being prepared to send a tender if you arrive at the dock at the last moment. I've never been on a cruise ship, and from what I read and hear directly from guests I wouldn't choose to go. That doesn't help you of course, but just make sure you don't give them any opportunity to cause you trouble.

That said, I've heard nothing against Anthony's Key. RoatanMan can better advise on that.

What he said :lotsalove:

AKR will do you just fine.

If you want a DM for your own, they'll hook you up. They read and answer e-mails.

If you are willing to get to CoCoView (it's really not that hard, read all the questions at Coming via CRUISE SHIP on March 26th 2008 - CoCo Chat and read the results on SCUBABoard at http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/227198-my-3-glorious-hours-cocoview-3-26-08-a.html), let them know your needs and you'll be quite amazed. Your love:kiss:boat pals may come back from AKR having fondled Flipper~ but you'll have gone Wreck Diving (in 35').

Papa_Bear - some of your information may be out of date.

Like? Be more than happy to rethink anything I have posted, but one day does not do justice to Belize! Jaguar Paw is world Class!

Thank you for the information. So far, the suggestion for hiring a private DM is CoCoView....are there any others?

I know that the ship uses Anthony's Key for their diving excursion... given the information that I have provided you with, do you think it is a better idea to NOT book with the ship, in case it is a large group???

Yes! Great operation on the better side of the island for a close by day dive! Better conditions and you could do Dolphin Dive and or Spooky Channel and maybe Bears Den! Great dives! If you want to go on your own try BIBR talk to Ted!

Thanks for all the suggestions...

For anyone who has been to Cocoview, can you tell me what the difference is between the following from their rate sheet:
1 Boat trip 2 tank: $35.00
2 Boat Trip 2 Tanks: $50.00

I am looking for a regular two tank dive with a surface interval at a beach.

Also, on their website it says "An orientation dive by a CoCo View divemaster is required if you have not dived with CoCo View before. Divemaster fee: $25.

Is this a per person fee? Or would it be $25 for both of us? Is this orientation dive a seperate dive outside of the two-tank boat dive, or does it mean that we will have the DM along on the first of the two boat dives. Also, if I wanted to have the DM along for both of our dives, how would that work?

I have already emailed Cocoview, but am hoping some one here might know the answers to my many questions:D

Thanks

Let their answer be your guide, but the way I read it....

An orientation dive by a CoCo View divemaster is required if you have not dived with CoCo View before.
Divemaster fee: $25.

You are hiring a DM. 1 or 4, it should make no difference.

Day Guests $10.00/person

That's not you.

Beach Dives
1 tank beach dive $15.00
2 tank beach dive $25.00

Boat Dives
1 Boat trip 1 tank $25.00
1 Boat trip 2 tank $35.00

The "Orientation Dive" would best be a "Beach Dive" in what is everyone's favorite Dive Site, The Front Yard. There, you will get your weights adjusted and see the aquarium that this dive site truly is.

It is very common to see Squid, Scorpionfish, JawFish, Mantis Shrimps, Pedersen Shrimp, colorful babies of all species and more.

As you get deeper, you'll see looming ahead in 35fsw, the intact 140' tanker wreck. She sits upright and is an easy way to spot even more creatures. There is a resident 7' Green Moray who is very predictable as to where he suns himself. Lots of little Crabs and quite possibly a Sea Horse.

Right next to the Prince Albert Wreck is the DC3 aircraft wreck as well. Maybe Mr. Moray is lurking over there. Did you see the huge Caribbean Common Anemones? OK, but look closer- see the blue and clear Shrimps that live inside?

As you prepare to return to shore, look off into the blue of the ocean- are there any Eagle Rays making their common approach to this feeding area? BTW- this time as you work your way back along the laid out anchor chain inshore... ask to be shown the Garden Eels.

Depending upon your time parameters, you may opt instead to do a boat dive. You will get two dives, wham bam, but at CCV not only is there no surface interval on the beach- there really is no beach. Hanging out at the main clubhouse or exploring the resort seems to always captivate visitors.

My best advice? Do two beach dives. This is the coolest dive from any resort in the Caribbean.

With my math, two beach dives per diver? That puts you at $75. I would kick it up to $100 and re-hire the DM for the $25.

The South side is unique in its florid macro populations. The DM's know where all the cool stuff is.

Attachments

• CCV_Map.jpg
    CCV_Map.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 25
  • PrinceAlbert1.jpg
    PrinceAlbert1.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 24
  • aabra 003.jpg
    aabra 003.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 25
  • BENZSD283966-02.jpg
    BENZSD283966-02.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 26
  • room-with-a-view.jpg
    room-with-a-view.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 25
  • PrinceAlbert4.jpg
    PrinceAlbert4.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Doc Eel 2  CCV 505 500 pix.jpg
    Doc Eel 2 CCV 505 500 pix.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 32
Roatanaman, you must have had some terrible experiences with the DMs in Roatan to say what you do about them.

However, you shouldn't really tar them all with the same brush, given the small number of operations you have personal experience of diving with in the last five years. The operations you deal with may be guilty of that, but there are many operations you haven't recently dived with that have extremely attentive divemasters, with extensive training and safety a number 1 priority.

I cannot think of a single PADI shop in the West End or West Bay that i wouldn't recommend to any newly certified diver, and be certain they will have a safe and pleasurable dive, not 'alone' but with an attentive INSTRUCTOR watching them closely and probably giving them further instruction in how to improve their buoyancy.

You will need to book ahead as many dive shops schedules do not fit in with ship visiting times. Try to make sure in any communication that you are quoting the correct time. The local time during US summer time is mountain time. The local time during US winter hours is central time. This is often different to the 'ship' time and frequently causes problems with reservations.

One thing you can do is look at PADI. The Way The World Learns to Dive and make sure the resort you are visiting is a PADI resort. Its a basic check to make, and ensures a minimum level of safety equipment such as oxygen and first aid kit on board amongst many other things.

HTH

upto 16 divers for one divemaster booking thru. the cruiseship, do not use that option! You'll often find the cruise ship divers are given to free lance divemaster/instructors with little local knowledge or experience. Wouldn't be so concerned about a guide finding you 'the small stuff'at this stage, just find an operation keen to take you and provide you what you looking for.

Roatan diving is pretty simple yet rewarding, you'll have a great time with the right operation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom