Next Teric or Garmin MK3????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems the two big players in wrist mounted AI are 4 years (teric) and 2 years (mk2i).

Garmin launched the mk1 and two years later the mk2i. Given todays product cycles and innovation, what are your thoughts or the NEXT generation Teric or MK3?
The Garmin Descent Mk2 series is based on the Fenix 6 series, same basic hardware and software but with the addition of a more water-resistant case, depth sensor, and dive computer software. Just like the Descent Mk1 was based on the Fenix 5. Garmin recently launched the Fenix 7 series so they will probably have a Descent Mk3 available sometime in 2023. When that Descent Mk3 shows up it will of course include all the new fitness and health metrics from the Fenix 7. Possibly it will also have a brighter, higher-resolution AMOLED display (like the Epix 2) but I wouldn't count on that. I doubt they will make any major changes to the dive software although I guess it's possible they could add a different deco algorithm like VPM-B.

Seeing as Garmin only just brought out the G1 I can't see a Mk3 coming out in a hurry. And if Garmin did release a Mk3 what would it do that the Mk2 series can't?
The Garmin Descent G1 is their lower cost offering which is based on the Instinct series. It isn't a successor to the Mk2; totally different product lines. They will almost certainly release a Mk3 based on the Fenix 7 in a year or so, but I wouldn't expect it to do a lot more in terms of diving features.

Shearwater needs to add GPS to the Teric.
Garmin needs to add a decent UI to the Descent.
The Descent Mk2 UI seems fine to me, or maybe I'm just used to it from using other Garmin devices in the past. The usability issues with the Descent are more about lack of configurability for alerts, and gas switch prompts that pop up at the most unhelpful times.

The Garmin Descent Mk2 series is based on the Fenix 6 series, same basic hardware and software but with the addition of a more water-resistant case, depth sensor, and dive computer software. Just like the Descent Mk1 was based on the Fenix 5. Garmin recently launched the Fenix 7 series so they will probably have a Descent Mk3 available sometime in 2023. When that Descent Mk3 shows up it will of course include all the new fitness and health metrics from the Fenix 7. Possibly it will also have a brighter, higher-resolution AMOLED display (like the Epix 2) but I wouldn't count on that. I doubt they will make any major changes to the dive software although I guess it's possible they could add a different deco algorithm like VPM-B.

On another note, the newly introduced Apple Watch Ultra cannot be ignored. Although AWU is a toy compared to Garmin Descent, it surely will steal some market from Garmin and possibly will be more of a threat with AWU2 next year. The Descent MK3 might be an AMOLED screen and at a lower price range in order not to lose market.

With the growing popularity of CCRs, it will be interesting to see if Garmin / Shearwater / Apple can come up with a solution to PO2 monitoring that works for wristwatch size dive computers. Most rebreathers now use a 4-pin (analog) or 5-pin (digital) connector to send oxygen sensor output to the dive computer for accurate real-time deco calculations. This works fine with a large computer like a Shearwater Petrel but smaller devices like the Garmin Descent can't physically accommodate such a large connector. Without some kind of real-time monitoring it can only be used as a backup at best. The diver can configure a PO2 setpoint but that won't always match the actual value. So they would need to either design a new smaller connector, or figure out some kind of wireless solution.

It is nice to see Apple finally providing some competition to Garmin in the outdoor watch market. I don't care about prices that much since I only purchase new devices every few years, but Garmin has always been sloppy about software quality. My various Garmin devices have been hit multiple times by regression defects where system software updates broke existing features (although nothing that impacted dive safety). Hopefully losing some market share to Apple will force Garmin to step up their software quality.

With the growing popularity of CCRs, it will be interesting to see if Garmin / Shearwater / Apple can come up with a solution to PO2 monitoring that works for wristwatch size dive computers. Most rebreathers now use a 4-pin (analog) or 5-pin (digital) connector to send oxygen sensor output to the dive computer for accurate real-time deco calculations. This works fine with a large computer like a Shearwater Petrel but smaller devices like the Garmin Descent can't physically accommodate such a large connector. Without some kind of real-time monitoring it can only be used as a backup at best. The diver can configure a PO2 setpoint but that won't always match the actual value. So they would need to either design a new smaller connector, or figure out some kind of wireless solution.

It is nice to see Apple finally providing some competition to Garmin in the outdoor watch market. I don't care about prices that much since I only purchase new devices every few years, but Garmin has always been sloppy about software quality. My various Garmin devices have been hit multiple times by regression defects where system software updates broke existing features (although nothing that impacted dive safety). Hopefully losing some market share to Apple will force Garmin to step up their software quality.

I think it'll be a bit before wireless PPO2 monitoring will be adopted. I don't mind if my AI rarely drops signal for a minute or so, I absolutely do mind that for PPO2 monitoring for any duration. Just my hunch though, who knows what is out there.

I also think wireless PO2 monitoring would be the next significant change. I imagine trust in it would only be slightly faster than trust in wireless spgs. That's only taken what, 20 years?

Having a wired primary and wireless backup (computer, not hud) that tracks deco based on actual PO2? Sign me up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom