Next Teric or Garmin MK3????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seeing as Garmin only just brought out the G1 I can't see a Mk3 coming out in a hurry. And if Garmin did release a Mk3 what would it do that the Mk2 series can't?

In my opinion Garmin made a mistake making their own transmitter technology. Sure it has extra range but when has the range of the PPS transmitter ever been a real issue.
The one application where the extra range is greatly appreciated is as a DM when you've got multiple divers on their own T1. Yes the group should always be together, but with good spacing and a group of 4-5, the back person is often too far away from the DM for them to have air. It's extra data for sure, but there's an application. I know a DM that has extra T1s and likes to slap them on extra ports for people that are anxious about their air consumption.

I totally agree that I can come up with nothing that the Mk3 would be able to do that the Mk2 cannot.

Seeing as Garmin only just brought out the G1 I can't see a Mk3 coming out in a hurry. And if Garmin did release a Mk3 what would it do that the Mk2 series can't?

In my opinion Garmin made a mistake making their own transmitter technology. Sure it has extra range but when has the range of the PPS transmitter ever been a real issue.
In terms of functionality there might not be anything breakthrough to add to Mk2. However a mid-sized version of Mk2 with an AMOLED screen would be nice.

A Teric with GPS would cause me to sell my current Teric immediately.

A Teric with GPS would cause me to sell my current Teric immediately.
There is nothing that they could add on a Teric that I can think of that would make me jump back to a regular watch style dive computer.

There is nothing that they could add on a Teric that I can think of that would make me jump back to a regular watch style dive computer.

What about....

Dolphins? Unlimited air? Unlimited bottom time? Fresh lionfish ceviche amd margaritas after the dive? :yeahbaby:

I think it'll be a bit before wireless PPO2 monitoring will be adopted. I don't mind if my AI rarely drops signal for a minute or so, I absolutely do mind that for PPO2 monitoring for any duration. Just my hunch though, who knows what is out there.
Presumably no CCR diver would be relying on this hypothetical future wireless PPO2 monitoring to actually control the unit. They would still have some sort of wired primary display for that. The wireless signal would be for deco calculations only. So if the signal dropped then the dive computer could just revert to the configured set point. A minor discrepancy between the configured set point and the actual loop PPO2 for a minute or so would have negligible impact on the deco schedule.

Garmin is like Apple; they love to own and control their entire ecosystem.
That is true to an extent. The ANT+ wireless sensor profiles and FIT file format aren't open source, but everything is available for free if you agree to Garmin's license. The devices record all dives and other activities as FIT files so you can download them through a USB cable and write your own applications to process them without touching the Garmin ecosystem. The Garmin Connect cloud service has APIs but you have to get permission to use them. You can write your own custom apps to run on the devices but Garmin has an approval process if you want to distribute them through the ConnectIQ app store. And custom apps or data fields are disabled for safety reasons during diving activities.

I think that Shearwater exercises about as much ownership and control over their ecosystem. So there isn't much difference on that point.

That is true to an extent. The ANT+ wireless sensor profiles and FIT file format aren't open source, but everything is available for free if you agree to Garmin's license.
I think he was referring more to the fact that Garmin doesn't work with industry standard transmitters.

I like my Mk2i and T1's, but it I would like to add a Perdix2 on my dives without losing AI on one of the computers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom