Nice small gesture from Continental Airlines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverG

Reached My 2nd Goal!
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My flight to Cozumel for Carnival earlier this year was delayed due to mechanical issue with the aircraft. At the time it happened, they changed aircrafts and brought the new one to the same gate we were at. We never boarded the 1st plane, but did on the second one. After the boarding of plane #2 they found issues with it, and we deboarded. Eventually they gave us $6 food vouchers, and had us change terminals to catch a 3rd plane. Fortunately the 3rd plane was good to go. Should have been in Cozumel about 11:30 local time and got in around 3:30.

Well the other day, I got a letter from Continental explaining the problem, and thanking me for being understanding. They also said they added 1,000 miles to my frequent flyer account.

Anyway, I thought it was a nice small gesture, and the first time I ever got a letter for flight delays.

Last edited:
Good to hear. I really Like(d) Continental. Living in Chicago, its not always easy to fly them, but I do so at every opportunity. I really hope the new United is more like Continental and less like the old United...

That is nice to hear, though in April I flew Continental for the first time in years. My flight to CZM was fine, though on the way back, I arrived in Houston to find long line at immigration. 45 minutes later I am running to gate, telling each Continental employee I encounter that I am running for the flight and please let the gate know.

I arrive at the gate with the plane still sitting there - jetway attached, and they refused to board me. SEVERAL minutes later the jet backs away. It moves several yards away on the tarmac and stops. A moment later an employee RUNS out to the plane - dragging my bag!

"Oh, they will store ir somewhere safe until you arrive in Atlanta."
I didn't arrange the flight times, Continental did.

They booked me on a later flight that got into Atlanta after 11 pm. I teach and have to rise at 5.
I asked to standby for an earlier flight.
I got the only standby seat - other than the two that earlier went to two uniformed employees.

I'll be amazed if I get any compensation. They didn't even offer vouchers of ANY kind.

Your positive comments encourage me not to avoid Continental completely in the future. That's been my plan for about 3 weeks, now...

That is nice to hear, though in April I flew Continental for the first time in years. My flight to CZM was fine, though on the way back, I arrived in Houston to find long line at immigration. 45 minutes later I am running to gate, telling each Continental employee I encounter that I am running for the flight and please let the gate know.

I arrive at the gate with the plane still sitting there - jetway attached, and they refused to board me. SEVERAL minutes later the jet backs away. It moves several yards away on the tarmac and stops. A moment later an employee RUNS out to the plane - dragging my bag!

"Oh, they will store ir somewhere safe until you arrive in Atlanta."
I didn't arrange the flight times, Continental did.

They booked me on a later flight that got into Atlanta after 11 pm. I teach and have to rise at 5.
I asked to standby for an earlier flight.
I got the only standby seat - other than the two that earlier went to two uniformed employees.

I'll be amazed if I get any compensation. They didn't even offer vouchers of ANY kind.

Your positive comments encourage me not to avoid Continental completely in the future. That's been my plan for about 3 weeks, now...
I've had the same thing happen to me. An hour is not long enough to dependably get through Customs and Immigration in Houston. On an international arrival you have to go through security again to get into the domestic terminal, and being late for your flight won't get you any sympathy from the rest of the folks in line.

I tried the "Continental did this to me" gambit as well, but their agent pointed out to me that when you book flights on their website, they give you options and it's on you to decide whether a connection is too tight to make or not. In short, I did it to myself, and if there were no space left on a later flight that day (there was), I'd have to spend the night in Houston and pay for it myself.

Continental has always been forthcoming to me in making it right when something is their fault, but in this case it wasn't.

And after the door to the plane is closed, they won't/can't open it for a late arrival. FAA regs, I think.

I wish I could say that they did this all on there own, but I'm not sure. I want to say I sent them an email about the flight problems, and how they should have made sure plane #2 was ok before they took it to the gate. I just can't remember if I ever sent them an email or not.

When flying on Cont. a couple years ago, the first leg was delayed by rain. As we were landing, they told us they would be holding the plain for us. We all RAN through the airport anyway. Got to the gate 10 minutes prior to scheduled departure only to find the plane gone. They pushed off EARLY, but by God they made sure they had our bags on board. F$%^K Continental! I won't fly with them again if there is any other airline available. We got nothing for our complaints to them.

On a delta flight we were stuck on the plane for just short of 3 hours for deicing. I wrote a mail and got 30,000 miles and an apology. I have had a challenge booking award tickets and you have to buy a full coach fare to upgrade with miles so...

Glad to hear Continental took care of you.

When flying on Cont. a couple years ago, the first leg was delayed by rain. As we were landing, they told us they would be holding the plain for us. We all RAN through the airport anyway. Got to the gate 10 minutes prior to scheduled departure only to find the plane gone. They pushed off EARLY, but by God they made sure they had our bags on board. F$%^K Continental! I won't fly with them again if there is any other airline available. We got nothing for our complaints to them.
You are saying that they departed earlier than their scheduled time and then blew you off when you complained? Well, of course I wasn't there, but color me skeptical.

I wish I could say that they did this all on there own, but I'm not sure. I want to say I sent them an email about the flight problems, and how they should have made sure plane #2 was ok before they took it to the gate. I just can't remember if I ever sent them an email or not.

We were on the same flight....just got the letter from Continental in the mail yesterday with my 1000 miles.

Must be why the airfare is so high right now:wink: Was hoping to get away for another quick weekend in June, but can't justify $560 for a weekend trip.

Mike

You are saying that they departed earlier than their scheduled time and then blew you off when you complained? Well, of course I wasn't there, but color me skeptical.
I think they routinely close the doors 10-15 minutes prior to departure time. It would seem better to me to close them at listed departure time, then take off after that, but there is probly some scheduling rule that makes this so.

Edit: I found it on Contract of Carriage, which we agree to - read or not - when we purchase a ticket, but I remember it only because it's also printed on the boarding passes...
RULE 5 CANCELLATION OF RESERVATIONS
D 1 c: All Passengers must be present at the loading gate for boarding at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure.
One could argue that it wasn't his fault that his inbound plane with the same airline was late, but it was not the airline's either - as he said, it was delayed because of rain. In inclement weather, landing intervals are increased for safety. Ok, so they told him that they would hold the connecting plane? I'm sure that they try, but the person offering that assurance had no idea what the various complications may have been, next plane needing that gate, inclement weather turning worse so the pilot felt compelled to get gone while he could, etc.

So yeah, it was luck of the draw, with weather calling the hand. I've been thru worse a few dozen times since the 1960s.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom