Nice watch for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I second the bit about the computer. If your boyfriend has a computer he may not be interested in wearing a "dive watch" - at least not diving. If he doesn't have a computer he might greatly prefer one over a dive watch. Or not, it's really hard to guess.

I love watches, even before I knew anything about diving I've always wanted a dive watch.
I use an Omega seamaster, but recently, found a great deal on a Luminox, and fell in love with it. Nice watch and not very expensive.

Also cool: Home Several years back, I got a Basic Black Luminox for diving but now just use it to go to and from diving. And I use it a lot. On the boat, after the dive when everything is wet etc. I don't regret it, however, not very useful to me underwater. Oops, with one exception -inlet dives. That type of diving is totally by the time of day clock.

This guy speaks truth.

I've got a Yellow Luminox SEAL (Colormark 3050 series I think) and it's perfect. My buddy at work has a Rolex Seadweller (not even a diver) and he's constantly bugging me to give/sell it to him.

Can't really go wrong with Luminox.

I have had three dive watches, all given to me as gifts.

The first (A Swiss Army) failed a number of times, so I scrapped it. It lies in a drawer somewhere.

The second (a Seiko) works fine, but I have a hard time reading it under water. I simply cannot read the bezel.

The third, a Tag Heuer, is extremely nice, and I have never taken it under water.

I use the second the way I used the first--in classes I am teaching in the swimming pool. I would never use any of them under water on an actual dive. One reason is that it has a nice looking band that cannot expand over a wet suit or a dry suit, so it is useless to me in those conditions, which are the only conditions in which I dive.

A second reason is that I need more information than a watch provides. The instrument I use the most is a Uwatec bottom timer. It has far more functions than a watch, and it cost me less than any of the three watches I own. I also know that most basic computers, which provide more information than my bottom timer, cost less and help more than any of the three watches I own and do not use. And they have wrist bands that can fit over a wet suit.

I think all fuss about these expensive analog scuba watches is all marketing. I have no idea why anyone would want an expensive analog watch for diving. Besides the fact that they're hard to read underwater, it's difficult to obtain precise timing with analog watch hands.

Digital timepieces are really much more appropriate for diving. A nice $35 Casio digital watch (water resistant to 200 meters) does everything that you'd want from a dive watch and is much more functional.

If you want to buy him a nice analog watch for the surface interval, that's another matter. But for diving, go digital.

And if you really are intent on spending some money on scuba gear, look instead at dedicated scuba bottom timers that possess other useful functions (such as dive logging and a depth gauge) that an expensive Seiko watch isn't going to have.

resize

I think all fuss about these expensive analog scuba watches is all marketing.

Ya think?:wink:

Seriously, who needs an $800 BC? A $1200 regulator? A $500 tank? A $300-$2000 computer?

Nobody, that's who. But guess what? it's all about the toys and the bragging rights.

You don't need a BC to dive with. A horse collar will rescue you just fine. You don't need expensive regulators. A rebuilt 1960s vintage regulator will do just fine. A set of cheap, used gauges plus a Timex will do just fine too. No need for even the el cheapo $300 dive computer. $80 mask? a $40 one will work just fine. Unless you're diving in ice water, no need for drysuit either. Buck up with a wetsuit or do what the old timers did - break out woolen jackets & pants then duct tape them to your body.

A nice $35 Casio digital watch (water resistant to 200 meters) does everything that you'd want from a dive watch and is much more functional.

While I don't disagree with the basic idea of this post at all, I want to warn people about water "resistance" measures. This link from Amazon's watch education site will help. Note that it says that if a watch is rated to 200 meters, it may actually be used for skin diving or scuba diving. Scuba is not recommended for ratings less than 200 meters. When I was given the Seiko I mentioned above, the information I had with it did not recommend scuba for watches with a 200 meter rating. It had to have a higher rating than that for a scuba recommendation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom