Night diving question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So now that you have gotten this conversation started (and I agree with the conventional wisdom about anyone can thumb any dive without question), can you share a bit more about the specifics?

Was this a regular buddy? What was the conversation before the dive? Were you mainly concerned about the Tarpon being aggressive? The night dive itself? Something else more related to diving in general? How did your buddy communicate the fact that they were upset?

I'm not implying that you did anything wrong, but a more informed discussion might be a good teaching experience so that this doesn't happen again, and others might learn from the process.

Of course pretty much every reasonable diver is going to say that anyone can thumb any dive at any time for any reason, but the thread could be more interesting if it wasn't just a series of those posts.
Yes this is my regular dive buddy....the dive brief did not include wildlife only the plan to head in a certain direction until said psi was reached by one of us then return to shore. I'm a little more skittish at night due to low viz, easy disorientation and this was a site only dove once before during day light. I did not expect to see tarpon and now knowing people feed them so they get extra close ( as in bump into you close) I was not comfortable or I would've scratched the dive if I knew beforehand. I am very comfortable with my dive skills ...wasn't feeling sick etc. I just didn't like how close and unafraid of us they were. Hope this helps.

Yes this is my regular dive buddy....the dive brief did not include wildlife only the plan to head in a certain direction until said psi was reached by one of us then return to shore. I'm a little more skittish at night due to low viz, easy disorientation and this was a site only dove once before during day light. I did not expect to see tarpon and now knowing people feed them so they get extra close ( as in bump into you close) I was not comfortable or I would've scratched the dive if I knew beforehand. I am very comfortable with my dive skills ...wasn't feeling sick etc. I just didn't like how close and unafraid of us they were. Hope this helps.

Thanks! That makes the story more fleshed out...

Now tell us what your dive buddy said. Was it an attitude thing? Or did they tell you right out that you were wrong...?

Sorry you had to go through this!

This weekend one of my buddies was very apologetic because she was feeling too cold and ended the second dive early.

Told her she should just end the dive whenever she needed to.

She was probably apologetic because she invited a friend to test a new drysuit and I called the dive when I saw him being unable to recover his buoyancy because he was underweighted, so she thought maybe I would feel annoyed that both dives were called by herself and her friend.

You were right to call the dive and if your buddy makes you feel bad about it, you should consider either setting the record straight or find another buddy as safety comes first.

@doctormike makes a good point though.

Was the buddy angry because he does not opportunities to dive this spot again or was he travelling from far ? Just trying to under more what happened.
We are here in Vaca so I understand wanting to get a full dive in from buddies perspective.

I totally understand your panic...hell your buddies should have been buying you drinks for going back through it!!!!

Thanks! That makes the story more fleshed out...

Now tell us what your dive buddy said. Was it an attitude thing? Or did they tell you right out that you were wrong...?

Sorry you had to go through this!
We didn't talk about it until I brought it up the next morning. Then there were no apologies. Buddy felt upset at both of us. Ultimate plan is buddy night dives with a different group

We didn't talk about it until I brought it up the next morning. Then there were no apologies. Buddy felt upset at both of us. Ultimate plan is buddy night dives with a different group
As in each of us dives night separately

At fault for what? Calling a dive has nothing to do with your buddy it’s about knowing your own limits and if he can’t respect that then you may rethink the buddy situation.

That can always be debated. First is the word fault the proper word. fault, accountable, responsible, depends on the context and ones vocabulary. There is also no such thing as no consequence for making the call. Anyone that believes other wise is misguided. There is a distinct difference in why you call it. Gear issue or the unforseen events of some sorts has never been a problem but being called because of poor planning or not capable of making the dive to begin with (AKA got over their head) is another. Still you don't make a fuss about it but you don't dive with them again, and if so not under those conditions. And that is a consequence in it self. There is no excuse for posing as being capable and then, after finding the dive is beyond your abilities, bailing out because you are scared of the dark. People like that put their buddies at risk and there is no pass for that once you get secure,, out of the water again. I have on more than one occassion asked to be reassigned to another buddy. when denied I sat the dive out. So I called the dive before getting wet.

You had every right to call the dive and your buddy should understand that without exception.

If they do not it is time for a new buddy

I'd like to add something to what's been said already about this.

Like many diving skills, our ability to think underwater, evaluate options, and select appropriate responses is something that develops over time. Any time you are uneasy, calling the dive is the safest option; the decision trees all look different when you're not calm. You can process what happened and what made you uneasy from the safety of the boat or the beach. After you do that, you can decide whether to sit out the next dive that's like that, or what to do in order to continue the next time that situation arises.

Just another 2 PSI.

Back
Top Bottom