Night diving question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is what I was told after...but I guess this pair will get close enough and bump into you...that is too close for me

Sounds like the problem was in dive briefing. On e.g. Bari Reef on Bonaire they are the permanent fixture -- but we were told about them using your lights to hunt from the very first time, so they were never unexpected.

Yes this is my regular dive buddy....the dive brief did not include wildlife only the plan to head in a certain direction until said psi was reached by one of us then return to shore. I'm a little more skittish at night due to low viz, easy disorientation and this was a site only dove once before during day light. I did not expect to see tarpon and now knowing people feed them so they get extra close ( as in bump into you close) I was not comfortable or I would've scratched the dive if I knew beforehand. I am very comfortable with my dive skills ...wasn't feeling sick etc. I just didn't like how close and unafraid of us they were. Hope this helps.
Would your buddy have preferred that you continue the dive, increasing the risk that you might get a very close brush and panic, knocking his regulator out of his mouth? The whole point of having a buddy is that you are carrying his air, and he is carrying yours. A buddy that is one fin's breadth from panicking and bolting to the surface cannot serve that role. If his attitude is that you should have carried on he might as well dive solo.

This is not a cr-42 crash form, we're not assigning at fault for anything.

Did you thumb the dive? Yes. Is it your "fault"?, nope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom