Night Time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm assuming that this is more than likely a ridiculous question as I have a hunch that most public beaches do have closing times . . . is it possible to dive Venice at night off the shore? I should have preceded this by saying that I have no real intent to do so, rather a matter of curiousity. I've never dove at night before and with the few dives I've done, Venice is certainly the most relaxing and comfortable to me due to the shallow depths. I would assume that good navigation skills and a good buddy would be essential if it's even allowable . . . .

Regardless of the legality of the venture or whatever . . I'd really like to know if anyone has done this before. And if it definitely isn't allowed, does anyone make Camoflauge Gilly Wetsuits? JK of course, wouldn't go if it's against the beach rules but seems like it could be a fun night dive. I enjoy seeing what small amount of fish and coral are right off the shore and think it would be cool too see how it changes at night.

Camouflage gilly suites are out there many spearfishing shops stock them.

I don't personally know of any rules saying you can't night dive from Venice beach but that doesn't mean there are not any.

One thing to consider is night diving does add a number of new elements to the dive. If you are interested in night diving I would suggest getting with a friend who has done it before and has some experience with it or find an instructor to go with you the first couple of times.

One of the biggest things I would say right off the bat is making yourself less visible at night then you already are may not be the best idea. In the event something happens your going to want to be as visible as possible to your shore support.

Night diving is allowed from the Venice beaches but some of the beach access parks have closing times (around midnite I think). I have dove at night from Alhambra and South Brohard before, the blocks at South Brohard are a great night diving site....easy to find, plenty of structure, lots of fish!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom