Nikon 105mm lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I shoot the 105mm VR with the D200. It is a great lens, but it does require a lot of light to focus lock. I use a focus light quite a bit when shooting this lens.

1/125, f32, 100 with the new Nexus diopter
1213926243_Arrow-Blenny.jpg

1. You should be able to shoot stopped down a lot more than that. The YS120 has
an ISO 100 guide number of 22 feet on land. With two YS120s, the guide number would
be 1.4*22 = 30. Underwater that drops to maybe 20. Your strobes are probably
about a foot from the subject, so you should be able to shoot f/20. On TTL at 5.6,
the strobes were probably shutting off after about 1/10 of a full pop, so the flash
was about 1/10,000 of second. VR was making no difference whatsoever at those
flash speeds.

Thanks Chuck
I totally agree !!
was just posting some examples of shooting with the larger f stop.
Whats a foot ?

Cheers
Chris

Whats a foot ?

30.48 centimeters.
You can do the math and gets rods, chains, furlongs, nautical miles, angstroms, and
nanometers.

Chuck, troglodyte American

But blame the manufacturer, they quoted the guide number in feet.
But you really ought to give them hell for giving only a surface guide number.

Whats a foot ?
Are you kidding? It's an ancient and widely used system of measurement in many countries, including yours until recently. Is it really no longer taught in schools in Aus?

On the lens, I'm convinced. I'll have to start using longer lenses underwater, though in my case they'll have to be really long as my camera's full frame.

Are you kidding? It's an ancient and widely used system of measurement in many countries, including yours until recently. Is it really no longer taught in schools in Aus?

Yea I am kidding :wink:
The Imperial system has not been taught in Australian schools since 1974.

Still the 105mm is a bloody nice lens

Cheers
Chriso

The Imperial system has not been taught in Australian schools since 1974
Appalling, but not unique to Australia. The authorities in Britain think that they can make the imperial system "unhappen" by pretending it never existed. But it's a key part of our culture - why SHOULD we simply pretend it never existed?

I have met young Americans who have absolutely no knowledge of the metric system, which is equally appalling.

I fail to understand this manic adoption of the metric system. I've used it all my life, alongside the imperial system, and it's never troubled me at all. I'm just as comfortable with metres as feet, lb as kilos, etc. It doesn't strike me as at all anomalous to use feet when flying and metres when diving. Yet our unelected EU masters have decreed that Napoleon's edict must be completed, and the metric system imposed on all.

Do you realise that the Academie Francaise, Napoleon's pets, intended to metricate time and would have done it if it hadn't been for Waterloo? These are the same people who in recent years have decreed it to be illegal in France to use words and terms that have come from English, missing the point that many of these were originally French and were carried to England by the Normans, and are merely coming back home.

Rant over!

Separate issue. I know this is a Nikon forum and there is a separate one for Canon. I have a Canon DSLR and I'm wondering about changing to Nikon, as they seem to have some cute toys at present and in the offing. I don't want to start a major controversy, but I just wonder whether any people here with Nikon DSLRs made that switch from Canon, and what motivated them.

I shoot both the 60 and the 105. A lot. Almost exclusively in SoCal from San Diego to Monterey. Dark water, surge, etc.

The deal with the 105 is the distance from the subject. Often I'll need to drop the shutter speed a bit because I'm simply very, very far from any subject that is as large as my fist or larger.

For the small nudis or skittish subjects - best lens ever. Great fades, solid, focuses fine with a focus light or in higher contrast situations. Its not nearly as sharp as my 60, but its still an excellent lens that you can fill a frame with a small subject.

I have an old school 105 - no VR. I've shot the VR, too. No photographic impact underwater.

My 105 is my primary macro lens. I've also shot some larger subjects (jellies, fish, etc.) with it in clearer water.

---
Ken

I have met young Americans who have absolutely no knowledge of the metric system, which is equally appalling.
Blame the young American, not America. I learned the metric system, in America,
no later than high school (ca, 1966). I'm sitting here sipping on a neat Scotch, from
a metric fifth.

These are the same people who in recent years have decreed it to be illegal in France to use words and terms that have come from English, missing the point that many of these were originally French and were carried to England by the Normans, and are merely coming back home.

Hear, hear, down the Frogs!! They ban "hamburger", but "beef" is Norman french.

I think I'll go have some Freedom Fries.

Separate issue. I know this is a Nikon forum and there is a separate one for Canon. I have a Canon DSLR and I'm wondering about changing to Nikon, as they seem to have some cute toys at present and in the offing. I don't want to start a major controversy, but I just wonder whether any people here with Nikon DSLRs made that switch from Canon, and what motivated them.

I recently made the switch from Canon D20 to Nikon D300. My motivation was that almost all of my camera gear (body plus all lenses except one) were stolen this past Febuary. So I was able to start from scratch. I researched and I liked the Nikon D300 better than the D40 so thats what I went with. I don't think I would have even cotemplated switching if I hadn't already lost all investment in the lenses I had. I think both Canon and Nikon have great products.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom