Nikonos V... Where do I go from here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrokenSailor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
12 years since I last hit the water finds me with trying to deal with the move to digital.

Is there any digital out there that will give me the easy controls of my Nikonos?
Is there a digital camera without a housing even available?

Are all my lenses just a waste?

LOL, welcome back.
I shot the Nikonos V back in the early 90s (multiples including floods). Then took a break from photo. Then moved to miniDV, then point and shoots with so so strobes for a while, now micro 4/3s.

If you are referring to lenses for the Nik V, yes I think they have run their course so to speak.
Digi cam without a housing yes, not sure of current offerings and depth rating, do an inet search, I'm sure others will chime in here.

Get a used point and shoot setup and play with it. Moving from 35mm to any digital is pure bliss (or was for me), the film and processing is basically free compared to Kodachrome and Fujichrome and processing, OUCH, and you can sort of see your results instantaneously for bracketing and such.

Point and shoot is easy to start with and at the rate the tech changes, I wouldn't drop 5k on a DSLR or Mirco 4/3s setup to start, just my two cents :)

12 years since I last hit the water finds me with trying to deal with the move to digital.

Is there any digital out there that will give me the easy controls of my Nikonos?
Is there a digital camera without a housing even available?

Are all my lenses just a waste?
The Olympus TG-2 is good to 50'. That's about as deep as I've seen. http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/tough/tg-2-ihs.html Most of the popular P/S camera mfr's. (Sony, Olympus, Canon etc.) offer $200 and up poly housings usually good to 132'. Here's the Canon line: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/underwater_photo

Or Ikelite housings start at around $280. The Ikelite's have pretty big, easy to use controls. Most can access most/all the buttons on a typical p/s camera. ex: Ikelite Underwater Housing for Canon ELPH 115 / IXUS 132 / IXY 90F
Some of their $400 models have better controls. ex: Ikelite Underwater Housing for Panasonic Lumix ZS30, TZ40 & TZ41

They're all model specific.

Wish I knew. Nikon USA told me they could still service them, but I'm not sure I trust the guy who said so. I was using my Nikonos V's for 3D photography so ended up using the GoPro 3D hero system. It can't take stills, but you can get frame grabs or use the time lapse feature to get full resolution still images.

So does the adapter let you fix your Nikonos lens on the housing or on the camera? Seems like it will adapt for your lenses but I would still have to cram that Nex 5 with the Nikonos lens in a housing...no? Might just let me use my lenses on land. I have digital stuff for land... that is not the issue.

I cannot believe Nikon cant just make a digital waterproof camera we can switch our gear onto. All the buttons are there on the outside. All they have to do is cram some tech in there...

Are there people out there still shooting underwater with the Nikonos?
It isn't that hard to convert my slides to digital, but is it even worth it?

The Nex camera goes in the housing with out a lens on it, the sensor "exposed", your Nikonos lens attaches to the housing. Reality is there are no real alternatives to your old system. One of the very good compact systems are as close as you are going to get. If you want to take the next step from that you are looking at 4/3 setup, lots of good options.

As you will see many love the Sony RX100, plenty of ways to set it up, lots of reviews.
System Packages :: Compact Systems :: Nauticam RX100 Sea & Sea YS-01 Strobe Package -

For 4/3 the Oly OMD EM5 is the pack leader but again there are other good choices.
System Packages :: Mirrorless Systems :: Optical Ocean Nauticam Olympus OM-D E-M5 Package -

If you want to get back in for minimum costs, this is a screaming good deal. Just lead a group to Lembeh and the contest winner, going up against compacts and DSLR shooters took 1st and 2nd with the attached rig.
Basics
http://www.opticaloceansales.com/ho...1-camera-pt-ep06-housing-zoom-gear-combo.html
Or a Package
System Packages :: Mirrorless Systems :: Optical Ocean Olympus/Sea & Sea PT-EP06 (E-PM1) Special Package -

I sold my Nik Vs when I left Jeddah in 97, I already moved on to housed SLRs at that stage (F3 in a Tussey Housing and F801 in an Aquatica Housing)

My advice is to look at an Olympus PEN 4/3 set up ... somebody posted a link to a great deal with a housing for $500 worth a look.

Well the Nex system looked quite compact, and if the lenses fit that works for me. But if I am beating a dead horse, I need to get a new horse.
If it is better to go with the NEx and the adapter to keep my wide angle, zoom, and macro setup I would like that, but I do not want to throw $500 down the drain if I really need to upgrade.
I just don't understand how I am going to get the kind of pictures I am used to shooting without having a lenses that I can manually focus and bracket my f Stop on each shot. Especially on the macro set up, where you use the Nikonos macro frame to set the distance to the shot, and shoot blind.

I have a large rechargeable Ikelite Strobe and full platform.
So... I don't need a whole system I am guessing???.

With the photos I take, mostly being macro shots, corals, sea life etc.

---------- Post added June 25th, 2013 at 04:04 PM ----------

GoPro Hero 3???

If you love macro a 4/3 system will be your best bet. Olympus has the best macro lens, the 60mm 2.8. It can be used on any of the Oly, Lumix or Panasonic cameras. The compacts can shoot good macro when adding diopters, but not on par with the 60mm. Today's cameras depend on Autofocus so a good focus light is recommended. The following shot was taken with the OMD, Oly 60mm, +10 Subsea Diopter, No Cropping.
/]

Not many bracket photos anymore since you see your results the instant you take them and can adjust; welcome to the digital age. Your strobe may work but of course that will depend on the housing you choose and you will probably have to shoot it in Manual. First thing is you have to settle on a camera. Budget will help in deciding what your options are.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom