NiMh battery problems!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Comparing Eneloop and standard NiMH technology is a red herring. Forget what brand or technology is providing the power, consider it as a black box. To explain the problems cited as battery technology and not camera design, you've got to show that somehow, standard NiMH battery technology is inadequate to provide a basically stable, repeatable, and known voltage over the expected total current discharge. Even garden variety NiMHs do it well, so far as I can tell. If it will power a strobe or light, it will power a camera. The job of final voltage regulation is in the camera (or strobe or - often but not always - in the light), not in the battery. Thank god Canon didn't design the engine computer in my Ford...

My issue with this discussion is with the continued assertion that there are these special batteries, either good (that perhaps only specialty retailers can get) or bad, within the typical NiMH offerings. Can anyone provide any testing data (not camera testing...) to back this up? Again, I'm not talking about Eneloops, but feel free to show data about any other long-standing NiMH brand you know of. It would be particularly convincing to see data from battery pairs where either the rated capacities are different by some middling amount, or where one matched-rating battery is older and has lost a middling amount of capacity through normal aging, or from brands which behave differently. I'd like to see the enormous voltage spike when you put the pair together that would explain how the poor Canon engineers missed building in the compliance to handle it, this completely unusable power source. Remember - these aren't dead or defective batteries, just not exquisitely matched (or special), and if you do any of the garage-mechanic testing on them - capacity verification, voltage, charge/discharge rate, you don't see any qualitative differences in the performance of these batteries (total capacity could differ, but that doesn't explain why they fail in the cameras right out of the charger). That's the little data I've seen or generated, I'd love to see the rest. Until data is brought forth, I still stand by my suspicion: the electrons are there, and at a usable voltage. The engineers just didn't design properly around the well-established specs of the power source.

One fellow, if you read through this long thread, is working on some tests, however, the test graphs provided by Sanyo are sufficient to explain the phenomena to me. Camera after camera has had this issue and camera after camera has had it essentially cured by switching to the "precharged" type batteries.

As an owner of three of the cameras and a fourth 640 for my wife and another for my brother, they all, all of them, would flag low voltage with either alkalines or standard or high cap NiMH batteries after only a few dozen flash shots, installing Eneloops or Duracell Pre-Charged eliminated the issue and the cameras function normally for many shots, especially forced flash shots like we are doing underwater to fire our external strobes. These cameras were probably not intended for constant flash use, when we outfit with a strobe and set it to forced we are probably drawing the camera batteries harder than Canon engineers had planned for.

N

Spoolin01, I would be tempted to agree with you regarding one brand in particular versus another brand, if the issue is only voltage drop over time with a constant current draw.

But consider the following:

1. Charging the camera is a series of sudden, high demand current draws.

2. There is no doubt that this particular camera has either/or a very sensitive voltage circuit or very high current demand (or both).

3. Testing (engineering data) is done on correctly working batteries. Both how the cells are handled and production quality control may play a bigger issue here than labratory testing of perfect cells with an constant current demand.

If you would like to see one of the possible issues, just take your favorite NiMH's and do a life cycle test with your favorite device and then drop them on a hard surface from roughly 5 ft (do it several times, as a single drop only has roughly a 15% chance of damaging the cells.. then charge and do the test again. If you have an single channel charger that reports the charging energy, the results can be shocking.

Note: A drop for as little as 2.5 feet can cause this effect.

However, if you have an intelligent charger ( I get nearly identical data from a LaCrosse BC-900 and a MAHA MH-C9000)... it is easy to find individual batteries that will show a sudden voltage drop when exposed to a high current demand (Most good multimeters can do this test )

Before I would call all the people that have had good results using those batteries nuts, consider the following examples:

1. One of the most common batteries used in dive computers is the Lithium 2450.... this battery is available in two versions...the Japanese version (I suspect there is only one maker of this battery in Japan, as all the Japanese cells perform the same) and a Chinese version. Both work well in trickle discharge condtions....but under high demand/short duration conditions, the Japanese cells have about half the voltage drop. Put a Chinese cell where there is short term, high demand draw and the device will not work. However, if you look up the testing data for both, they only show trickle discharge curves. As I could find no test data on this issue, I had to learn the hard way and eventually put together a test system to confirm if this was really true (as I did not believe several unscientific people that told me to only use one brand of battery).

What I see is a difference in both cell to cell variability from either mfg or shock damage, and some internal resistance differences.

As with the 2450's, there appears to be only two mfg of the low discharge batteries.. one Japanese and one Chinese...and there is significant design differences between the two.

With well over 1,000 charge cycles with Nihm's so far, my experience is that cell to cell repeatability is far better with the Japanese low discharge cells...with the most common issue being variation in internal resistance... which would easily account for what people are seeing.

One fellow, if you read through this long thread, is working on some tests, however, the test graphs provided by Sanyo are sufficient to explain the phenomena to me. Camera after camera has had this issue and camera after camera has had it essentially cured by switching to the "precharged" type batteries.

As an owner of three of the cameras and a fourth 640 for my wife and another for my brother, they all, all of them, would flag low voltage with either alkalines or standard or high cap NiMH batteries after only a few dozen flash shots, installing Eneloops or Duracell Pre-Charged eliminated the issue and the cameras function normally for many shots, especially forced flash shots like we are doing underwater to fire our external strobes. These cameras were probably not intended for constant flash use, when we outfit with a strobe and set it to forced we are probably drawing the camera batteries harder than Canon engineers had planned for.

N

As Eneloop's and Duracell's appear to be the same battery, that is not terribly surprising.

I think the old saying about the proof being in the pudding is true in this case. Throughout this thread and many similar ones you can find on the internet the original problem (Cameras or equipment not performing with particular types of batteries) is simply cured by using precharged low discharge batteries, what ever the brand.
I know this is not a scientific answer to the question nor is it an engineering answer, but, it is a working solution to the problem and in answer to dgn's original post buy a set of these batteries and your problem should go away. It's not as if the low discharge cell cost to much because I find them to be about the same price as the hi rate NiMH cells.

Maddog59

As Eneloop's and Duracell's appear to be the same battery, that is not terribly surprising.

Yes, I believe they are and reported that to be the case well over a year ago or more. I believe they are the same cell but if they are not they are functionally very similar and have good quality control thus producing similar results in use.

A dropped battery is a dead battery waiting to die or malfunction at the worst possible time. If you don't believe that, build an expensive RC model and drop the cells and then watch your airplane drop out of the sky. I never use dropped cells--ever--for anything. Dropped cells get tossed into the trash.

I went and bought a new set of high cap cells just because of you, lol, popped them into my 570 and went about firing some shots for a PP presentation I am preparing for work, within a dozen flash shots the low voltage flag came on. I pulled them out and loaded the Precharged Duracells and continued to fire away for dozens of more shots. I will use the new set in my Mag Light, they will not work in the camera. Of course, I had learned that a year ago. Here is the other thing, the new cells are already weak in the Mag Light after only a week, whereas the precharged type can sit for months and still operate the light at full brightness. :idk:

N

At the risk of beating this horse yet again - this last post seems a great example of the simple point I'm flogging. If you're experience is the same as mine, those high cap cells were not drained, the camera just didn't like them. Poor power management.

Recently all by my lonesome I've determined that 130V is another operating voltage that can work with kitchen appliances here in the US, and I'm recommending to GE, Braun, and the others that they switch. The power companies will just have to innovate to support this new standard. That's progress.:idk:

Interesting observation about the 2450s, classic - but isn't this a perfect example of a common issue for device designers? Power supplies are built to varying specs for applications with varying requirements. And some sketchy power supplies are sold with specs they can't live up to. For whatever reason, Canon built cameras that didn't function with industry standard power supplies. My presumption prior to this thread was that the majority of AA-using cameras before and since do pass that hurdle. Maybe in truth there are no two-AA cell cameras out there that can work with alkalines or non-Eneloop NiMHs - I can't claim to know for sure. But since at least with those A720s I had, the batteries were reasonably up to spec - the electrons were all there, with proper motivation - then that would be a problem of voltage regulation in the camera so far as I can see, not battery performance. Add a capacitor, ferevvin's sake.

Regarding NiMH performance though, aren't lithium batteries more like alkalines in their voltage drop under load, than like NiMH? I thought that was a key distinction of NiMH chemistry - low drop under load (isn't that the same as saying they have low internal resistance?). When I test the lithium AAs I use in FRS radios - they show considerable voltage drop with just brief use (maybe 0.2 to 0.3V), that rebounds after resting. In fact with partially drained lithium batteries resting voltage seems a very poor indicator of load voltage - I can measure almost fresh levels of voltage in used lithium batteries that will only operate the radio for a few minutes because they are so spent. Yet the radios function with those batteries, despite not being marketed for use with them. Continued below...

Spoolin01, I would be tempted to agree with you regarding one brand in particular versus another brand, if the issue is only voltage drop over time with a constant current draw.

But consider the following:

1. Charging the camera is a series of sudden, high demand current draws. For my A720s, the problem was about as bad w/o flash use - do you know how CCD charging and flash card writing compare in draw to the LCD? At any rate, this is a voltage regulation problem, not a power source problem. Strobes are high drain yet work with standard NiMH - what is there about camera circuitry that's more demanding than the circuitry on the strobe boards?

The earlier link to the Eneloop page shows comparative testing of a Sanyo NiMH at 100, 500, and 1000mA loads. The flattest part of the curve, which lasts through the 1st third of so of discharge is depressed from about 1.29V to 1.25V by the load increase, and stays relatively flat down to 1.2V. Not much evidence of a load-induced voltage spike there, unless it's common for cameras to impose >>1A loads (in which case it's still a regulation problem the camera can be built to handle - it's obviously not a battery capacity or internal resistance problem, the Sanyo sustained the 1A load for over 2 hrs and stayed above 1.1V). If the camera operating tolerance is down to 1.0V as was claimed, it makes that standard NiMH look even better.

2. There is no doubt that this particular camera has either/or a very sensitive voltage circuit or very high current demand (or both).

3. Testing (engineering data) is done on correctly working batteries. Both how the cells are handled and production quality control may play a bigger issue here than labratory testing of perfect cells with an constant current demand. I'm still hoping to see a test of one of these (ubiquitous) sub-standard cells to see just how different it is. And an explanation of why it stumps even routine circuit design, or why the designers didn't know this was an issue with essentially all available batteries.

If you would like to see one of the possible issues, just take your favorite NiMH's and do a life cycle test with your favorite device and then drop them on a hard surface from roughly 5 ft (do it several times, as a single drop only has roughly a 15% chance of damaging the cells.. then charge and do the test again. If you have an single channel charger that reports the charging energy, the results can be shocking. Hey I do this test and don't even know it! Maybe this is part of why I see maybe a 10%/year failure rate in my batteries. Does this happen to Eneloops too ?- they seem to be fail-proof as reported so far.

Note: A drop for as little as 2.5 feet can cause this effect.

However, if you have an intelligent charger ( I get nearly identical data from a LaCrosse BC-900 and a MAHA MH-C9000)... it is easy to find individual batteries that will show a sudden voltage drop when exposed to a high current demand (Most good multimeters can do this test ) Not sure I follow you here, are you saying you can see this with the BC-900? Do you monitor the voltage with the charger, during discharge? Or with the VOM?

Before I would call all the people that have had good results using those batteries nuts, I don't at all doubt that their reports with Eneloop-type batteries are valid. That Eneloops work in those cameras is not the issue for me in this thread. It appears that Eneloops are a substantial modification of the technology, not just better QC, so they don't explain how the quixotic behavior of a small subset of camera models can be laid at the feet of an established battery technology. consider the following examples:

1. One of the most common batteries used in dive computers is the Lithium 2450.... this battery is available in two versions...the Japanese version (I suspect there is only one maker of this battery in Japan, as all the Japanese cells perform the same) and a Chinese version. Both work well in trickle discharge condtions....but under high demand/short duration conditions, the Japanese cells have about half the voltage drop. Put a Chinese cell where there is short term, high demand draw and the device will not work. However, if you look up the testing data for both, they only show trickle discharge curves. As I could find no test data on this issue, I had to learn the hard way and eventually put together a test system to confirm if this was really true (as I did not believe several unscientific people that told me to only use one brand of battery).

What I see is a difference in both cell to cell variability from either mfg or shock damage, and some internal resistance differences.

As with the 2450's, there appears to be only two mfg of the low discharge batteries.. one Japanese and one Chinese...and there is significant design differences between the two.

With well over 1,000 charge cycles with Nihm's so far, my experience is that cell to cell repeatability is far better with the Japanese low discharge cells...with the most common issue being variation in internal resistance... which would easily account for what people are seeing. Well,this is the big question. I still have the batteries that couldn't operate my A720 cameras, as well as 100 or so others. I guess I should test them for voltage drop under load. I think the BC-900 can be programmed to discharge as high as 500mA. Is this how you test internal resistance?

Interesting observation about the 2450s, classic - but isn't this a perfect example of a common issue for device designers? Power supplies are built to varying specs for applications with varying requirements. And some sketchy power supplies are sold with specs they can't live up to. For whatever reason, Canon built cameras that didn't function with industry standard power supplies. My presumption prior to this thread was that the majority of AA-using cameras before and since do pass that hurdle. Maybe in truth there are no two-AA cell cameras out there that can work with alkalines or non-Eneloop NiMHs - I can't claim to know for sure. But since at least with those A720s I had, the batteries were reasonably up to spec - the electrons were all there, with proper motivation - then that would be a problem of voltage regulation in the camera so far as I can see, not battery performance. Add a capacitor, ferevvin's sake.

Regarding NiMH performance though, aren't lithium batteries more like alkalines in their voltage drop under load, than like NiMH? I thought that was a key distinction of NiMH chemistry - low drop under load (isn't that the same as saying they have low internal resistance?). When I test the lithium AAs I use in FRS radios - they show considerable voltage drop with just brief use (maybe 0.2 to 0.3V), that rebounds after resting. In fact with partially drained lithium batteries resting voltage seems a very poor indicator of load voltage - I can measure almost fresh levels of voltage in used lithium batteries that will only operate the radio for a few minutes because they are so spent. Yet the radios function with those batteries, despite not being marketed for use with them. Continued below...

Nice post...a bit too many questions to answer this morning.. but to touch a few of them:

1. I am not sure how the charging system for the camera is actually measuring things. I would assume there is some capacitor charging going on, so the two easy methods would be:

a. Have a voltage measurement system, but at what point in the charging process?

b. Have a timing system that measures how long it takes to charge the capacitors or the direct write process.

The first would see the highest voltage drop at the moment of maximum current draw...it may be they are doing that. In that case, lower internal resistance would charge the camera the fastest, but have the greatest voltage drop.

The second, would work in the opposite way, with higher internal resistance being the enemy. I suspect this is what they are doing, perhaps with both systems.

This would make any higher resistance battery fail very quickly, even when it had lots of power available.

2. The two smart chargers show, with each charge, the amps it has to put back into the battery to bring it back to the target voltage. What you see with most high capacity Nihm's is that with a set of 4, one will very quickly be the primary power supplier (sorry Nimrod for steering you wrong on those high capacity batteries- I still use them in lots of other devices). What you see very quickly is that a matched set does not stay a matched set very long. It is fairly common for one battery to require say 1,400 ma, while the other three need 300 (or roughly the amount they would use from just sitting there). My initial thought was variation in internal resistance, but that would not account for this big of a difference. I suspect this is a voltage drop under high load issue.

3. Charge rate. Most camera's have rather huge current demands for a very short duration. Just based on how few images one can get from a set of batteries, and comparing having the LCD on versus taking images...and capacity with and without flash, it is pretty easy to see that the LCD has a fairly high continous current demand, and the CCD system uses a lot more power than the flash does. But the CCD system gets it's power in tiny lumps..

4. Testing the maximum pulse current in really small time frames would require some expensive test equipment, but to do a quick (possibly damaging) test, just take a good multimeter, and get several low ohm resisters (guessing, not more than 100 ohms.. say 2, 5 and 20)...use the amp circuit and just short the battery. If it has a peak hold, you should see the maximum current draw. A good DC current clamp on system would work well, as long as it goes low enough. I suspect this is not good for the battery.

At the risk of beating this horse yet again - this last post seems a great example of the simple point I'm flogging. If you're experience is the same as mine, those high cap cells were not drained, the camera just didn't like them. Poor power management.

Not to beat the horse either but I never have said they were drained, I have said their voltage has dropped below the threshold that the camera is set to accept and therefore the low voltage warning. Frankly, I don't follow your point but I am sure you have one and will explain it. :wink:

This is an interesting read:

Review: Testing Sanyo's Eneloop Low Self-Discharge Rechargeable Battery

This chart from Sanyo reflects my experience comparing "pre-charged" batteries to standard high cap NiMH batteries:

347f7c8c8b.gif

If you look you see that the high cap battery drops below the 1.2V threshold at only 800mah whereas the lower capacity Eneloop does not drop below the 1.2V threshold until 1400 mah capacity. Seems pretty simple but I do look forward to Puffer's experiments in hopes he will better define the circumstance. Now, to the above chart, add in discharge sitting overnight, maybe less than perfect conditions for battery maintenance when you are hundreds of miles from home on a trip and it seems pretty clear why one type functions well and the other does not.

Is it a battery problem or a camera problem or both, does it matter if normal function can be had with a simple and inexpensive solution?

Quote Sanyo:

"The voltage makes the difference------

One of the main features of eneloop is the higher voltage level. Many applications switch off or show the low battery signal if the voltage is lower than 1.1 Volt. A traditional NiMh battery will lose its voltage constantly and runs under this critical level very soon. eneloop however will keep the voltage level over 1.1 Volt for a long time, and only just before becoming empty will fall under that limit. That's one of the reasons why you can take more photos with eneloop than with a 2700 mAh battery."

End Quote.

15a4c4587a.gif

I think the quote above from Sanyo sufficiently explains what is happening. :uwphotographer:

N

Canon built cameras that didn't function with industry standard power supplies. My presumption prior to this thread was that the majority of AA-using cameras before and since do pass that hurdle. Maybe in truth there are no two-AA cell cameras out there that can work with alkalines or non-Eneloop NiMHs - I can't claim to know for sure. But since at least with those A720s I had, the batteries were reasonably up to spec - the electrons were all there, with proper motivation - then that would be a problem of voltage regulation in the camera so far as I can see, not battery performance. Add a capacitor, ferevvin's sake.

Well, yes, but, Canon did not build these little P&S plastic cameras for pro use, they are intended to shoot a few birthday and kitty cat pictures and probably get lost, dropped and replaced in six months. Then we put them in housings, take them underwater and shoot them shot after shot in three dives more than some of these get shot in typical consumer use before being dropped, lost or discarded for the new pink version. These cameras were not built for this heavy use, flash shot after flash shot as fast as we can trigger the cameras. I think people expect too much from what are toy cameras. That they do as well as they do is quite amazing. There is nothing wrong with the cameras.

ChisVintageDiverPics2009031.jpg

N

Back
Top Bottom