NiMh battery problems!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another very interesting study of charge/discharge cycles. This one compares the performance of chargers and notes the temperature and effectiveness of different chargers. I'm reasonably certain that heating your cells to 50 celsius is bad for them.

Another very interesting study of charge/discharge cycles. This one compares the performance of chargers and notes the temperature and effectiveness of different chargers. I'm reasonably certain that heating your cells to 50 celsius is bad for them.

I use the Duracell fast charger that has a built in fan when on a trip, I use a "slow" charger when not in a hurry. If it shortens my batteries life I don't care, I will buy more, I am in a hurry and don't have time to sit, and sit, and sit and baby stupid batteries, I want them charged now. I have several sets of the Duracell Pre-charged and several sets of the Eneloop. I keep them in sets, charge them in sets, use them in sets etc.

The Canon 570, I also have done voltage checks, the camera is software driven and it is a little more complex than a simple battery voltage check. What is fact, I get about 12 shots on a fresh set of Duracell Alkaline, I get a few dozen shots from high cap cells and I can run through two dives, even three, with the Eneloop/Duracell Pre-charged. I have three Canon 570 cameras, they all three behave exactly the same way though one of them is a little more efficient, it gets almost 20 shots on fresh alkaline, lol. These are flash shots, with the camera set to manual strobe, strobe power set to 1/3 to trigger my Inon strobes.

As to the Canon 570, I bought one on a lark or maybe it was desperation figuring the little plastic party camie could not be much of a camera, I mean, one of them I payed 17 dollars for on eBait (mildly used), the other two on closeout. Anyways, I bought the first one and was immediately impressed, installed the hack software and wow, the Canon 570 is the best little cheapo digi snapper on the planet. I shot a Nikonos for years and did not get shots like I do with the little Canon right from the git go, it can make a clutz into a hero. The Canon A570IS, it is a shooter. Just use Eneloops, Lock, and Load.

N

We have been poking around the camera circuit board but a lot of components are glob topped. I am sure that the components are off the shelf, but nothing that we can definitely get at easily. I was hoping that at the end of the day the camera would still be a camera, but my guys have it pretty much taken apart at the moment and usually that means adios.

I use the Duracell fast charger that has a built in fan when on a trip, I use a "slow" charger when not in a hurry. If it shortens my batteries life I don't care, I will buy more, I am in a hurry and don't have time to sit, and sit, and sit and baby stupid batteries, I want them charged now. I have several sets of the Duracell Pre-charged and several sets of the Eneloop. I keep them in sets, charge them in sets, use them in sets etc.

The Canon 570, I also have done voltage checks, the camera is software driven and it is a little more complex than a simple battery voltage check. What is fact, I get about 12 shots on a fresh set of Duracell Alkaline, I get a few dozen shots from high cap cells and I can run through two dives, even three, with the Eneloop/Duracell Pre-charged. I have three Canon 570 cameras, they all three behave exactly the same way though one of them is a little more efficient, it gets almost 20 shots on fresh alkaline, lol. These are flash shots, with the camera set to manual strobe, strobe power set to 1/3 to trigger my Inon strobes.

As to the Canon 570, I bought one on a lark or maybe it was desperation figuring the little plastic party camie could not be much of a camera, I mean, one of them I payed 17 dollars for on eBait (mildly used), the other two on closeout. Anyways, I bought the first one and was immediately impressed, installed the hack software and wow, the Canon 570 is the best little cheapo digi snapper on the planet. I shot a Nikonos for years and did not get shots like I do with the little Canon right from the git go, it can make a clutz into a hero. The Canon A570IS, it is a shooter. Just use Eneloops, Lock, and Load.

N

I love my A570IS.

We have been poking around the camera circuit board but a lot of components are glob topped. I am sure that the components are off the shelf, but nothing that we can definitely get at easily. I was hoping that at the end of the day the camera would still be a camera, but my guys have it pretty much taken apart at the moment and usually that means adios.

Hmmm, perhaps process of elimination? The IC for voltage regulation is going to be defined by a few factors:
1- what is the output voltage the camera is using? You have to find the VR IC first and then measure it's output voltage.... this will narrow it significantly.
2- Determine how many pins are on the IC. this will help to identify the IC.

Lastly, there is an alternate idea.... perhaps approach Canon and see if they are willing to talk about the voltage regulation logic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom