Nitrox Analyzer - How many use one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many of you guys use an analyzer to check LDS fills before a dive?

I'm interpreting the question as asking whether, even if we analyzed the tank before leaving the LDS (as most of us say we do), do we nevertheless analyze AGAIN "before a dive," using our own analyzer from our dive bag? Is that what you're asking?

If so, then the answer for me is: rarely. If I analyzed and duly labeled the tank at the LDS, and then the tank remained with me right up until I am about to dive, I will not analyze again.

I suppose if I owned multiple tanks and brought one home from the LDS to be stored along with my other tanks, then I would analyze it again when I am about to dive it.

To the contrary, I damn well know where we're posting, and that's why things should be explained, and that "let's not get too technical"-bs should stay at the door, IMO. It's a formulation that is very comparable to "trust me I'm right".

And again, some agencies allow 1.6 as bottom mix.

I am not here to teach a EAN course. I am simple answering what was asked, according to what most agencies teach. (Padi, sdi, Iantd) It is BASICALLY taught that safe practicle limits are 1.4, 1.6 is taught as the maximum for recreational usage. Now if this were an advanced diver discussion, which it is not. Then we could discuss the practical usage of higher ppo2 limits while in decompression or outside the working portion of the dive. As well as how much cns plays into the limits that you are using. I am just clarifying that the vast majority of the agencies that most ow students use teach the 1.4 limit.

As predive routine, I analyze my Nitrox tank every single time, because the gas content can vary from 30-34 %O2. Also adjust the % O2 in both of my dive computers accordingly. I use the LOB's or resort's analyzer. Always get the habit of waving the analyzer in the air to see if it drops the reading back to 20.9% before using it and check with the owner on when the last calibration done on it.

I did the calc in my head but I think it comes out to a 1% change in O2 content for every ounce of steel turned to iron oxide. I could easily be mistaken if someone wants to check my math. Anyway, it would make me search for a reason for any significant drop and oxidation in the tank could be a reason.
I'm pretty sure that's not gonna change anything, but I can't be bothered doing the maths.

What brand and model analyzers are you using and why are you happy / unhappy with your selection?

Oms old Square style, love it. Cheap sensors easy to use with din flow restrictor.

Analox Ata pro, love it. Expensive sensors. But does O2 and he. Expensive unit.

Both produce accurate numbers in a few seconds.

What brand and model analyzers are you using and why are you happy / unhappy with your selection?
Analox O2Eii. Easy to use, nice form factor, comes with a good case, comes with a plug (supposed) to extend the sensor's life. Might have liked to have CO analysis as well, but that would mean a whole 'nother can of worms re. calibration

I have an Analox ATA, a Trumix 4001, and a number of Maxtecs that are no longer made.

I do not like the Analox because of the propensity to forget to remove the battery and it rots in the holder, I like the trumix, it's rechargable. The helium cells are expensive. I love my Maxtecs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom