Nitrox and Air Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure I'm going to regret this...

If you are going to use high F02 gasses, you need to have a regulator that has parts that are compatible for high F02's.

Technically, they could say yes and not necessarily be trying to fleece him.

Is there a flame suit on and off emoticon?

It's assumed that 'nitrox' means recreational EAN limited to 40%. Certainly his own dive shop would know this. All regs can handle this, they should know that, so yep, either they ARE trying to fleece him or they're hopelessly ignorant. The one exception would be if he has a titanium reg; I think the older atomic titanium is not considered nitrox compatible by the manufacturer.

Of course, I already think they're trying to fleece him; new divers, already bought steel tanks, even thinking of a nitrox course and they try to sell him more steel tanks. Some dive shops will say anything, I'm afraid.

My LDS is not trying to sell me a new Reg. The tanks are a different story. Since I am just a Newbie OW and limited to 60 feet, I am thinking i will just sit with the Air and not worry about Nitrox at this time (I mentioned Nitrox to him because of the fratige issues) next fall when i look into AOW I know the 4 classes he teaches with it is Nitrox / navigation / Deep Diving / Night Diving. I have a SSI OW C-Card and am very happy with the intruction I got from this LDS and that is why I hate to leave him. I am a strong believer in supporting the LDS and not buying on the internet to save a buck. I really dont have a concern if he is trying to rip me off as I do most of my own research anyway and will only buy what I want. Because I travel I told them I must have all my own gear and that is why I have steel tanks (Less Bouyancy issues than Aluminum). In my travels in Rural america in Montana where I am originally from the LDS is over 100 miles away so renting and such is not an option. I have 4 tanks total so I dont have to go the miles to fill everytime my wife and I want to dive.

I do want to thank everyone for there posts because it did show me I have a lot to learn about just air in general when you talk about O2 and blending for Nitrox. I currently just tell the shops at the springs that I dive to fill it with air and never even ask what type of air they are putting in as far as quality. They just ask if its Nitrox or air and I say air. Never thought of asking any questions about it. My current LDS is about 70 miles from me so I dont go there for fills unless i need to sop I just have them filled at the local springs.

Of course, I already think they're trying to fleece him; new divers, already bought steel tanks, even thinking of a nitrox course and they try to sell him more steel tanks. Some dive shops will say anything, I'm afraid.

Or they could be a shop in an area that really does not know what so many posters on this thread know. Most nitrox course materials say exactly what the shop said, which amazes me. When I teach a nitrox course, I always take students to the compressor room to show them how we do partial pressure blending. Once they see how it is done, they realize how absurd it is to say that you can't put air in a nitrox tank because the shop may do partial pressure blending when in fact the shop itself puts air in the tank when it does partial pressure blending.

There is nothing wrong with being a Newbie and owning your own steel tanks. As a matter of fact I took my Ow/Nitrox/Drysuit course all together well one after the other. I did my checkout dives all together. I also purchased all my own equipment. Having your equipment plus your own tanks is great. You leave them filled at the spur of the moment if you want to dive you can simply grab your things and go no need to go out rent the tanks etc.. I also have used Nitrox several times. I amgoin to be doing my AOW this summer which will make it even more worth while but nothing wrong with having it now.

If you ever Make a Trip to NJ. I can recomend A top Rate Shop who training is second to None. "The Scuba Connection" If you have any questions regarding anything you can call the shop and speak with one of the owners either wayne or Jason. They will go over things with you and help out. If you ever visit there you will understand after meeting them why there training is Great.

908-359-1250
www.diveseekers.com

The AL80 isnt the "standard tank" everywhere..
I havent seen a single diver with an AL tank around here I think :wink:

The AL80 isnt the "standard tank" everywhere..
I havent seen a single diver with an AL tank around here I think :wink:
Thanks for that information, Tigerman. Are you responding to something in this thread? :confused:

Problem is not Nitrox for the tanks, problem is high concentration of O2. All the tanks can handle Nitrox, it is high concentrations of O2 that are an issue.

If LDS you frequent doesn't use high concentrations of O2 at any point to fill your tanks with Nitrox (as an end result) then no special tanks or cleaning is needed. If LDS does you need O2 cleaned tanks and keep them O2 clean.

In a nutshell, you don't need special tanks for nitrox, you need them for O2.

If LDS you frequent doesn't use high concentrations of O2 at any point to fill your tanks with Nitrox (as an end result) then no special tanks or cleaning is needed. If LDS does you need O2 cleaned tanks and keep them O2 clean.

After the shop puts pure O2 into your tank for partial pressure blending, it puts it on the compressor and tops it off with air.

What is the difference between these two choices? Why will the second contaminate the tank if the first one will not?
  1. putting a few hundred PSI of O2 into the tank and then topping it off with air
  2. putting air into the tank without putting a few hundred PSI of O2 in first

After the shop puts pure O2 into your tank for partial pressure blending, it puts it on the compressor and tops it off with air.

What is the difference between these two choices? Why will the second contaminate the tank if the first one will not?
  1. putting a few hundred PSI of O2 into the tank and then topping it off with air
  2. putting air into the tank without putting a few hundred PSI of O2 in first

Between $10 and $15. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom