Nitrox and motion sickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBA_Phil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
When using Nitrox, does it have any effect on motion sickness? Friday, I was diving off the Lois Ann in San Diego using 32% O2. After the first dive I had a bad case motion sickness and missed the next two dives. :froggy: I took Dramine 20 min before and had half of a breakfast burrito – 2 mistakes I know! :bonk: The seas were 3’ to 4’, the Lois Ann is 47' long X 15' beam. I am somewhat marginal on most boats. I normally take Dramine 1 hour before any trip. Just wondering about any relationship between Nitrox and motion sickness. Any other recommendations on motion sickness strategies?

Thanks

Phil

SCUBA_Phil:
When using Nitrox, does it have any effect on motion sickness? Friday, I was diving off the Lois Ann in San Diego using 32% O2. After the first dive I had a bad case motion sickness and missed the next two dives. :froggy: I took Dramine 20 min before and had half of a breakfast burrito – 2 mistakes I know! :bonk: The seas were 3’ to 4’, the Lois Ann is 47' long X 15' beam. I am somewhat marginal on most boats. I normally take Dramine 1 hour before any trip. Just wondering about any relationship between Nitrox and motion sickness. Any other recommendations on motion sickness strategies?

Thanks

Phil
Try starting the Dramamine a day before. You need the stuff in your bloodstream, not in your stomach.

I have problems with certain foods sometimes. If I lay off the dairy and anything from 7-11 for about 12 hours, it makes a big difference. I suspect you will have your own list of foods and will find them the same way I found mine.

Seriously doubt nitrox has any effect on motion sickness. I've tried everything for motion sickness and the only thing that works is the patch.

The best cure for motion sickness is getting in the water. Sitting on a boat while you are motion sick is horrible. Nitrox and motion sickness have no relation that I know of. Breakfast burritos and sickness of any kind have quite a bit in common.

Don Burke:
Try starting the Dramamine a day before. You need the stuff in your bloodstream, not in your stomach.

I have problems with certain foods sometimes. If I lay off the dairy and anything from 7-11 for about 12 hours, it makes a big difference. I suspect you will have your own list of foods and will find them the same way I found mine.
Yep! I take the antihistamine the night before as well first thing the morning of the dive trip, well before getting on the boat. Sit outside and watch the horizon, not things inside moving oddly for our land oriented minds. The boat pilot never gets seasick as s/he is watching far ahead; try to do the same - offer to drive. :colgate:

Nitrox would have nothing at all to do with the problem. Get in the water ASAP, puke thru your reg if needed, holding your reg in mouth until the gagging is over - then rinse and look at all the pretty fishes who came to greet you. :silly:

SCUBA_Phil:

Thanks

Phil

I take Bonine. It's over the counter and it has no side effects on me like Draamine does. I take a half a pill the night before diving and then a half a pill in the morning.
I'm never even felt squeezy with the Bonine.

When I was taking Dramine it would just make me throw up less. It was common for me to throw up between dives and then be okay and hit the water.

With the Bonine I can eat anything I want and dive with no problems. I always carry a few extras and will run across someone on a boat who has never thrown up. Between choking down diesel fumes, setting the anchor and a little wave action it hits them.
A full pill and a few minutes and they're ready to dive.

Thanks guys,
I will start to take the Dramimine or Bodine the night before and watch the food intake much more closely. PS: the the third up-chuck, I tasted the draminine - that may have been the icing on the cake!

SCUBA_Phil:
Thanks guys,
I will start to take the Dramimine or Bodine the night before and watch the food intake much more closely. PS: the the third up-chuck, I tasted the draminine - that may have been the icing on the cake!
Thought of another thing: How clean and healthy are your ears?

I know to take the antihistamines and am sure they won't bother me as I take them every day anyway for my allergies, and I know to watch the horizon from days on small boats in 8-12 feet seas - yep, still dived some of them. I'm pretty hyphenated. :biggrinpi

But I also saw an Ear Nose and Throat physician along the way somewhere, which may be a good idea for you. He said I have healthy tubes, but have to watch for wax buildup. Based on his suggestions, I irrigated my ears well before every dive trip, and I suspect that this helps with the inner ear balance thing.

Less N2 makes you feel better not worse. Do you wear a drysuit? Sometimes being too warm and eating a greasy burrito and drinking CRAPPY (should always drink Starbucks) coffee will make me puke. Cold water always seems to settle any motion sickness because you're more concerned about staying warm than thinking the boat is a-rockin' n' a rollin'
Maybe you should think about getting rid of your drysuit on eBay.

As an avid offshore fisherman and diver its best if you take a dose of motion sickness pills (one pill) the night before the dive and then take one or two (depending on weight) 1 hr- 45 minutes before you go. And to agree with those above yes getting in the water is a cure for SOME people. I have seen a many a people get in and soon after be floating beside a nice school of corn flakes that they just summonded up :) Lemons and raw turnips also help. and I'm sure you've heard "look at the horizon". You just have to find what cures you. If lemons, turnips, pills, horizon spotting, patches, pressure bands and getting in the water does not help then dry land is your only cure!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom