Nitrox card required to dive, not just for fills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as the drysuit goes, it would be well within their rights to evaluate your proficiency prior to letting you dive it on their boat.
Homemade CCR, with no training, you would be asked to either not dive, or rent some OC gear. There is no chance that I would allow an untrained CCR diver on my boat.

Why is this my stance? Because I am the poor guy that has to retrieve your corpse.

So where is "your boat" just in case there is a crowd of divers looking to join you?

It's in my driveway. I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, so I'm going to act real tough until I figure it out. < best said by Cal Norton Jr. Lol

It's in my driveway. I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, so I'm going to act real tough until I figure it out. < best said by Cal Norton Jr. Lol

Yes - sarcastic. If you are a commercial op, I want to make sure I know how to avoid you. If private - then do whatever you please.

As far as the drysuit goes, it would be well within their rights to evaluate your proficiency prior to letting you dive it on their boat.
Homemade CCR, with no training, you would be asked to either not dive, or rent some OC gear. There is no chance that I would allow an untrained CCR diver on my boat.

Why is this my stance? Because I am the poor guy that has to retrieve your corpse.

Somewhat arrogant remark. In all probability I would be the one pulling your but out of the water. (Just as arrogant a remark) People get so carried away on their cards and what they supposedly mean. IMO, many cards i.e. certifications, are really bogus, just money generators for the issuers. FWIW, I am also a tech instructor trainer now retired.

Safe Diving as always

I know of commercial ops that follow the same premise. And I don't mind it whatsoever. If you are going to charter for a tech dive, you bring the appropriate cards.....if its a rec dive on nitrox, bring your OW card and Nitrox card. If its a deep dive you need to bring your AOW card or your OW card and a logbook with significant experience in dives of the nature that will be performed that day. It's all common sense. What you have to realize is that as a commercial dive op, if 10 people come to you without a pertinent cert card on hand and they all tell you "yeah I have the cert, or I have XXX hours of experience in this area" 4 of them are telling you the truth, the other 6 are probably just telling you what they think you want to hear. From a safety(not liability) standpoint it is good policy to ask for proof of certification for a given type of dive prior to allowing an unknown diver to participate.

If you disagree with that, that's your right....it is also the right of a dive operator to deny you service.

Somewhat arrogant remark. In all probability I would be the one pulling your but out of the water. (Just as arrogant a remark) People get so carried away on their cards and what they supposedly mean. IMO, many cards i.e. certifications, are really bogus, just money generators for the issuers. FWIW, I am also a tech instructor trainer now retired.

Safe Diving as always

So is normoxic trimix a bogus cert? How about technical wreck penetration? Or decompression procedures? There is nothing in any class that one can't learn by reading a book, so why have certifications at all? As a retired tech instructor I would assume that you would understand the purpose and value of proper training, and the reasons that dive operators require proof of formal training.

Owning a card only indicates that you went through a class. It says nothing about how thorough your instructor was, how much you retained after the class was completed, your mental approach to diving or your overally ability to use good judgment ... which is at least as important as your training.

Where I live, charter operators won't ask you for a drysuit card, or a boat diving card, or ... unless they're selling it to you ... your nitrox card. They'd be hard-put to put clients on their boat if they did. They want to see a card that says you're certified to dive, and have you sign a waiver. Beyond that, unless you demonstrate otherwise, they assume you're competent.

FWIW - I've issued probably two or three dozen drysuit c-cards over the nine years I've been teaching. But I've never owned one. Got over 2500 dives in a drysuit, and never took a drysuit class. The only thing the card would do for me at this point would be to enable me to rent one ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, at the same time when you show up with an instructor card the boat probably takes for granted an extensive amount of experience. I understand your point, but you have to understand that any dive operator can set their own policies. And we as divers can choose to either accept those policies, or dive elsewhere.

Bob, at the same time when you show up with an instructor card the boat probably takes for granted an extensive amount of experience. I understand your point, but you have to understand that any dive operator can set their own policies. And we as divers can choose to either accept those policies, or dive elsewhere.

I do understand ... and I'm pointing out that in general the policies will reflect the overall quality of diver the dive op is likely to encounter ... based on that operator's need to attract customers. It's more likely you'll be asked to produce specialty cards in areas where they commonly see a lot of new divers, or people who dive only once or twice a year, than you will in areas where the diving conditions attract primarily local divers and pretty much demand a certain level of expertise ... places like Vancouver Island, Puget Sound, and the Channel Islands for examples that I'm familiar with. I'll be heading to the Great Lakes for the first time in August. It'll be interesting to see what the culture is there with respect to dive ops.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think you will encounter the same attitude there as you do in Washington. You summed it up well by pointing out that the customer base plays heavily into the policies of the operation. The dive boats in NC, FL etc will have a far more "touristy" customer base than boats in Washington, Michigan or jersey. Well stated bob.

One thing Scuba Works does while collecting information is they store your cards on file. Then subsequent visits, they just have your cards on your account. I did a dive with a different shop in the area and showed my cards and asked if they were putting them on my account and they said no, that they didn't do that. Declining an email address is easy, but I like that Scuba Works logs my certs so I don't ever have to show proof to them again.

Now I don't have the dive experience most of you guys have, but I've done 90% of my business with Scuba Works. Who was helping you out, was it the owners? If not, I wouldn't hold it against them. It's a family run business with great boats and competent instructors. You are far more certified and experienced, yet I could have walked in there and filled a nitrox tank without cards (because they are associated with me in the computer). You can't say that about every shop and I don't need years of experience or hundreds of dives to know that because I've already ran into it.

Back
Top Bottom