nitrox classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsenloe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Well it's happened, I think I'm old. I have been told that I could benefit from "geezer gas" on our long dive trips. I am a 43 year old former PADI MSDT who is now interested in continuing education. My question is this, do I need to take one of the silly padi nitrox courses where you have to dive? Can I take a crossover course from another agency and just learn the technical stuff without paying good money to prove that I can inhale off a scube tank? I am sure this has been covered before so forgive me for beating the same drum. Thanks for your help

TDI does a nitrox class that does not require dives. All classroom. Shouldn't be too hard to find one, just start calling local dive shops.

Personally I look for any reason to go diving,and a great excuse for the wife is that I am taking a course and I have to do the certification dives. Better yet,you take the class and I'll do the referral dives for you :)

PADI doesn't require the dives anymore.

Yea, PADI dropped the dive requirement and SSI did not have one. Either is fine.

When I did my SSI nitrox class I read the book and did the knowledge reviews in a night, went the next day and took a test, analyzed a tank, and filed for the card. Pretty simple.

Just did my SSI Nitrox and it was a breeze 2 hours to read the book and 4 in class

PADI offers a good basic recreational Nitrox course,,,,and as pointed out above the reqd. 2 are no longer reqd.. The class room and test are about 4 hours after you have read the text. As to helping you feel fresher after 'long' dives,,,there is no studies as yet proveing this, but some evidence leads to those conclusions. It is a great way to safely extend your bt and is well worth your investment on dive profiles were you can benefit.

I just finished the TDI course. I liked the text better than the PADI texts I've seen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom