Nitrox fills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pepperbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is there any reason to not use Nitrox unless going deep?
I recently found out that a LDS that I took a couple of tanks to for a visual inspection banks 32% Nitrox.
Apparently their price is about the same as other shops charge for air, and with Notrox they only charge for what I need- a half tank costs half.

Is there any reason to not use Nitrox for everyday diving?

only reason not to is the cost, so if you deem it cost effective, there is no need not to, less nitrogen is always a good thing

I personally dive air unless I get to the point where I am trying to avoid long decompression hangs, but air is most always cheaper or free where I dive. My new compressor setup should be done here in another couple of weeks and I will be able to bank ean32 then so everything will at least start with 32% in it

There isn't, the only reason people dont use nitrox all the time because it cost more than air usually

Thanks. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't overlooking something. I didn't think I was, but at 58 I have been wrong before.

This shop is very close and their EAN32 initial fill is $12.00. each fill after will be less.

only reason not to is the cost, so if you deem it cost effective, there is no need not to, less nitrogen is always a good thing

I personally dive air unless I get to the point where I am trying to avoid long decompression hangs, but air is most always cheaper or free where I dive. My new compressor setup should be done here in another couple of weeks and I will be able to bank ean32 then so everything will at least start with 32% in it

Why not bank 40% and add air to the tank if need less than 40%?

People aren't being very specific about what they mean by "deep." For me, I start thinking about nitrox when I am going deeper than 50-60 feet, but I don't do a lot of diving in that shallower range. I will also use nitroxx on a relatively shallow second dive following a deeper dive. For example, if I am scheduled to a 2-tank dive that will be to 110 and 50, I will get my tanks filled to 32% and 36%. Of course, where I do that the price of nitrox with a fill card is very close to the price of air, so I figure, what the heck? Go for it.

Why not bank 40% and add air to the tank if need less than 40%?

i believe in standard gases and 32% is an ideal balance for most caves and ocean dives. Banking EAN40 would require adding helium or air to almost all of my tanks when diving in the caves in Florida.

The only time they will really go down is when I'm teaching and have access to free air fills but not my compressor, and in cave country, most everything is banked ean32

Now, I have to admit that I may be the only person to dive the Copenhagen wreckage (30 feet) with trimix, so maybe I'm not a good source for an opinion. (I had had a rich trimx mixture in the tanks before the dive and topped it off with air, so I still have a pretty good dose of helium in it, and I was doing a shallow instructional dive.)

i believe in standard gases and 32% is an ideal balance for most caves and ocean dives. Banking EAN40 would require adding helium or air to almost all of my tanks when diving in the caves in Florida.

The only time they will really go down is when I'm teaching and have access to free air fills but not my compressor, and in cave country, most everything is banked ean32

So there isn't a specific technical reason not to bank 40% and top it off with air for leaner mix except your dive profile doesn't need/use 40%?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom