NITROX for any and all dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIHappyDiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’m currently rereading Simon Pridmore’s Scuba Confidential and came across something I missed before. In the chapter on NITROX he states “If NITROX is so good, (and it is,) why doesn’t everyone now use it all the time?” I have been EAN certified for about a year but the only time I have really used NITROX was during a trip to Bonaire, diving 2-5 times daily. My local dives consist of depths of 45 fsw, or less, and usually only one dive per day, occasionally two.

Is there an advantage to using NITROX in my typical local dive situation that I am overlooking? My (possibly wrong) understanding has been that NITROX is best for multiple dives, especially where your gas supply would exceed your NDL if on air.

Thanks for the input,

Erik

Mods, if you feel this would be best posted somewhere else, please move it there. Thanks.

As with other gases, Nitrox costs more than air on many levels. All things equal, it’s a better choice in many circumstances than air. Several agencies promote its use over air at even shallower depths.

Nitrox shortens surface intervals and reduces nitrogen absorbed in blood. It does not extend bottom time in most cases. It costs more so sometimes we don't use it for that reason. 2 dives a day? Paying extra makes no sense, now if you do 3 or 4 different story. So no, in that scenario you don't need nitrox, if its free take it :)

My 2 PSI:

Given enough gas, you can choose to extend bottom time or alternatively (theoretically) reduce your DCS risk at the same bottom time using Nitrox. At depths where you will be nowhere near a deco obligation anyway because gas is the limiting factor in bottom time, you're just spending money for little to no benefit.

This could be funny. When the majority goes to nitrox for what ever reason,, how long will it take to for the idea that if you dont use nitrox you will be unsafe?

This could be funny. When the majority goes to nitrox for what ever reason,, how long will it take to for the idea that if you dont use nitrox you will be unsafe?
:wink:
Only a less industrious scuba agency (or shop) would promote that, a more industrious one will jump straight to promoting recreational trimix as the only safe approach to all diving...
:wink:
Edit:
Other than that I do not worry about using Nitrox unless a few table or dive planner calculations show a benefit for the series of dives planned. 4 shallow reef dives at 30' each limited to 40 to 50 minutes max at depth over a day and I just stick with air. Deeper and that may change. Bonaire with Nitrox cost negligible (or was it even free, forgot) sure, why not, as long as I don't go towards or beyond MOD or if with a newer diver as long as the bottom is not beyond MOD.
An LOB with 4 to 5 dives a day... Yeah, I go Nitrox even at a cost, just because I want to minimize potential reasons to sit out dives I went far for at considerable expense.
It may get trickier when I can have nitrox in 80cf only, but not larger but I can have a larger tank with air (and I unfortunately continue to suck it down...)... I then again would just plan both ways and decide based on that...

Last edited:
It does not extend bottom time in most cases.
really? I would say it sure extends my bottom times every time I use it.

I would use it all the time if cost were not a factor. For shallow dives (like less than 50-60 feet) I would not bother, but I don't do dives that shallow all that often.

Most nitrox tanks are way overpriced. When I dive locally, I mix the nitrox myself because most shops don't supply it. (We don't have a lot of local diving here.) I go to a gas supply shop, rent 240 cubic foot bottles of oxygen and helium, and mix trimix and nitrox for everyone diving with me. They reimburse me for the costs, and I charge a slight profit to make up for my travel, work, etc. I put in the amount of O2 they need, and then the tanks get topped off with air. For a typical nitrox fill in an AL 80, my charge for the O2 is about $3. Think about that the next time a shop charges you $25 for a nitrox fill, as some of them do. (I have seen more.)

Others have already mentioned reasons why more people do not dive it and why people like to dive it. Other reasons that I can contribute to needing to dive it are for dives at elevation. Back to back diving like 3-5 tanks a day over 7+ days at a time like at resorts or liveaboard really hits me hard on air. Tired and low energy. Not so with nitrox. Plus, better NDL times with nitrox anyway when diving that much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom