Nitrox for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been on week long dive trips with and without NITROX and for me I can do more dives with less fatigue with NITROX.

If I'm in Bonaire and nitrox is a free option for me, I dive only nitrox unless planning to exceed the MOD (which is rare).

Quarry diving back in the U.S. where I pay per tank, I dive air. I like big tanks and haven't yet bought one to dedicate to nitrox use. Maybe someday.

Richard.

Nitrox is perfect for beginners. Due to the fact that your workload is probably high, you are taking on more nitrogen.

You can get into trouble with nitrogen on a single tank dive!

You should not be anywhere close to the MOD on a 32% mix as a new diver ( recommended depth 60' ).

Why? Are you referring to an effect caused by increased circulation because of the effort making the gas exchange more efficient during the working part of the dive?
I am still curious about the idea that a beginning diver gets more nitrogen loading than an experienced diver, and I am still looking forward to the explanation.

I am still curious about the idea that a beginning diver gets more nitrogen loading than an experienced diver, and I am still looking forward to the explanation.
I'd assume that he meant that since newer divers historically have a significantly higher SAC rate, it's reasoned to assume that their Nitrogen levels go up as well.

I'd assume that he meant that since newer divers historically have a significantly higher SAC rate, it's reasoned to assume that their Nitrogen levels go up as well.
That is a very reasonable assumption that many divers make, and I thought he might be getting at that.

It isn't true, though.

This has been discussed several times in other threads in recent months. The gradient between the gas inspired in the lungs and the tissues in the body is what determines the rate at which nitrogen enters or leaves the system. The rate at which one breathes has no real impact on it.

Many highly experienced and highly skilled divers have held this belief, but it is not correct.

Jenni,

Nitrox is one of those specialties that I find very useful, be it to extend NDL at agiven depth for a single dive and/or to accommodate multiple dive days. For those who normally runs of gas prior before reaching NDL, they can always get a bigger tank to remedy that situation and then reap the full benefit of Nitrox. For my local diving, it is a non issue due to the fact that I can get banked 32% at the same price as air. Therefore, this is what I normally use, either for single shallow dive or for single/multiple dives down to applicable MOD. As for my reasoning, there are enough threads and posts on this board discussing the advantages of using such a mix.

I too am a believer in Nitrox. As you can see Jenni most divers agree that there is a sense of being less fatigued when using Nitrox however some divers seem to disagree. All in all I love using it because I personally dont feel wore down and tired as often as I do on air post dive.

There is truth though that it is an awesome class in that it is an eye opener for divers seeking to better themselves. If you do plan on taking divemaster one day or even becoming an instructor they have a theory class and though its far more in depth then that of Nitrox it will be a step in the right direction now to help prepare you for it.

I dont use it as much as I used to since most of my dives now are at typically 20' but if I was doing a 40' or deeper dive it would be strictly on nitrox.

When nitrox is free, I breath nitrox. When nitrox is an extra $5 to $10 per tank, I only use nitrox when I am diving multiple days of 3 to 5 dives per day or if I need it for the planned bottom time.

If you are doing one or two relatively shallow dives, and your dive time is limited by your gas supply, then Nitrox offers very little benefit, especially if the cost is going to make a difference in whether you dive or not!

I dive Nitrox all the time for a number of reasons. One is that having 32% in my tanks all the time gives me a lot of flexibility in what I can do with a tank -- if the wind is up at Edmonds (shallow) I can regroup at the Coves (deep). Another is that I know my no deco limits for 32% by heart. A final one is that all my buddies will be on 32%, too, so we all have the same limits.

It is also my personal experience that I have more stamina on Nitrox, but I know there's no good objective evidence to support this.

There is a downside to nitrox that the OP might want to consider.

By diving nitrox, you are limited to your MOD. If for whatever unanticipated reason you need or want to exceed that depth (i.e. to rescue another diver, to retrieve gear, to see something interesting), you are eliminating that option. I dive nitrox all the time when there is an actual indication for it's use (that is, when my dive will be limited by my NDL). But to use it just because it's the same price as air, or because the tanks are newer, or any other non-standard reason seems to be unnecessarily ruling out an option with no real benefit. I'm not going to debate the "I feel better on Nitrox" topic since there is no consistent data to support it - if you feel it that it's true, then it's true. Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom