Nitrox for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple of interesting thoughts I've seen expressed in this thread. I'm one of those divers that doesn't notice a difference in post dive fatigue between diving air or nitrox. Could be that it simple doesn't make an obvious difference to my body, or perhaps since I"m extending my NDL limits by using nitrox...and diving to those longer limits...the extra work of the extended bottom time might be offsetting the possible "less" fatigue of using nitrox. Something to think about anyway.

A couple of interesting thoughts I've seen expressed in this thread. I'm one of those divers that doesn't notice a difference in post dive fatigue between diving air or nitrox. Could be that it simple doesn't make an obvious difference to my body, or perhaps since I"m extending my NDL limits by using nitrox...and diving to those longer limits...the extra work of the extended bottom time might be offsetting the possible "less" fatigue of using nitrox. Something to think about anyway.

It is and Nitrox is a fun topic to discuss because there is so much room for debate with it. The world unfortunately will never accept anything one way or the other without scientific proof. This makes for many to believe that Nitrox gives post dives a less fatigued feeling and many more that will claim to not have that feeling. Is it true or false? Well that just depends on what you want it to be.

As I stated most divers who dive will state they believe the post dive is less fatigued but by using the term "most" it would depend on the divers inside of that group. Id say 75% percent of the divers I know who dive nitrox firmly believe that it is the truth so for my arguement that provides fact to my statement that most divers I know are believers in this.

Now if a person wanted to argue most do not support it then he would simply gather up a bunch of divers he knows do not believe this and then ask their opinions on it. Most in his case would not support it so therefore he would be correct in his statement that most divers he asked would not believe in this statement.

I am a firm believer that it gives a better feeling post dive so therefore my opinion is that it does.

Again this debate will go on for quiet some time and I have had heated debates on the topic. Whats always great about it though is despite the best attempts by people to prove one person wrong. They are equally unable to prove their self correct. :D

The theory that I've heard put forth by a hyperbaric physician is that those people who report being less fatigued on nitrox experience this because the fatigue they are experiencing on air is actually sub-clinical DCS. Sort of a "silent hit" if you will. They are doing something on their dives (or perhaps have a PFO) which causes microbubbles when diving air, which express themselves symptomatically as low-grade fatigue. When they dive with EANx they do not experience the microbubbles, therefore they do not .
I'm a little confused here. Are you saying that people do not feel less fatigued, or are you giving a good physiological reason why they would feel less fatigued?

I think he is quoting someone (I think it was Doolette) off the Mysterious Malady DVD, where he says he believes the fatigue people are relieving with Nitrox is subclinical DCS. I was intrigued to find that one of the well-known researchers in decompression felt that way, because I fall firmly into the "I feel better on Nitrox" camp.

I think he is quoting someone (I think it was Doolette) off the Mysterious Malady DVD, where he says he believes the fatigue people are relieving with Nitrox is subclinical DCS. I was intrigued to find that one of the well-known researchers in decompression felt that way, because I fall firmly into the "I feel better on Nitrox" camp.

That makes two of us for the nitrox camp. I am interested in heading more about exactly what the Mysterious Malady DVD is though

I have had friends tell me that all they dive is nitrox because it makes them feel less tired after a dive. I never gave much thought to this until I dove nitrox this past week. I did feel a noticeable difference in how tired I felt after the dives. When I dive air I feel totally wiped out afterwards and I have to take a nap. With nitrox I didn't feel that way. Maybe it has something to do with hypoxia? The higher the blood oxygen level the more oxygenated the tissues become which causes them to function more efficiently, hence less fatigue?

Oh man...So many nitrox haters. Nitrox is a great class to take. Gives the student so much insight into the science of SCUBA. And it is cheap. 5 or 10 bucks more tank for the shortened SI is priceless. You can also dive air tables and know you have
extra margine of safety. And...I am one of those who believes eanx mitigates headaches and the need to crash after a dive. Besides, this is th 21'st century. Who dives with air anymore?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom