Nitrox for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox is perfect for beginners. Due to the fact that your workload is probably high, you are taking on more nitrogen.

You can get into trouble with nitrogen on a single tank dive!

You should not be anywhere close to the MOD on a 32% mix as a new diver ( recommended depth 60' ).

Nitrox is perfect for beginners. Due to the fact that your workload is probably high, you are taking on more nitrogen.
Why? Are you referring to an effect caused by increased circulation because of the effort making the gas exchange more efficient during the working part of the dive?

Thanks for all your advice guys! :)

Just to clear things up, I was only asking about getting Nitrox FILLS. I definitely think that the class is worth it and have no doubt I'll be taking the class.

I just wanted to know if it was a waste of money to get a nitrox fill before you're being limited by non-deco limits. I was pretty sure that if your dives are being cut by your gas supply (gas hogging) then getting Nitrox wouldn't really be beneficial (except in the case of multi-day diving)...so just wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

Jenni -- I don't think it is wasted to dive EAN even IF it is just a simple, shallow, short dive. Diving the same gas allt he time just makes planning easier. Note -- cost in time or money isn't particularly relevant for me given the availability of EAN at pennies per cubic foot. I only pay for what I use.

Soccerjeni, no one has mentioned two other aspects of nitrox that I think are worth mentioning. In addition to extended bottom time (if you don't use your gas up), I have found that nitrox has a pleasant "taste" if that is the right word, and also that I come up from a dive (or series of dives) less fatigued than I do if I have been diving on air. The impacts are clearly recognizable. Weigh the NDL gains and the "taste" and energizing effect against the cost, which is about $9.00 per tank give or take, or from $85 to $125 per week, more or less, at resorts or on liveaboards.
Bottom line- I say go for it!.
DivemasterDennis

I run out of air before my NDL time comes into effect, but I feel much less fatigued after diving on nitrox than air.. and the shorter SI is nice.. worth the few extra $$ per fill for me..

The cost of nitrox makes sense on most dives due to the fact the tanks and values are usually newer and the quality of " air "
is better.

The knowledge gained in the class is worth taking the class even if you rarely or never dive Nitrox.

The cost of nitrox makes sense on most dives due to the fact the tanks and values are usually newer and the quality of " air "
is better.

Now you are starting to lose credibility.

I was pretty sure that if your dives are being cut by your gas supply (gas hogging) then getting Nitrox wouldn't really be beneficial

This statement is correct, and well supported by the literature.

I can't say the same for many of the other statements in this thread. However, most of them are hard to disprove..! :)

Back
Top Bottom