Nitrox - Is it "worth it"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are right, Nitrox 32 has a particular sweet spot where it extends NDL limited dives or reduces stop length.

Shallower, if gas limited, it reduces DCS risk which I think is valuable. Also for repeat dives NDL can become important even with shallower dives.

Deeper, weaker mixes help too, although not so dramatically. Once NDL becomes irrelevant it still reduces the stop length.

My default fill is 32%. I don’t bother with 36, maybe I would on holiday places where a second dive is certain to be shallow enough and it was a zero overhead choice with a dive op.

In the BSAC system every diver is taught to use nitrox from the first level. Initially just 32 or 36 but Sports Diver includes anything up to 36. There are tables for 27, 32 and 36 as well as air.
As a club we keep a few cylinders O2 clean for training and for loan for dives where it makes sense. We take every opportunity to get students to test their gas.

The difference in NDL between air and 32% at 30m is the equivalent of doing about 5 minutes of stops, and extends bottom time by 40 to 100% depending on model. Those stops are not much for a deco trained diver (like a BSAC Sports Diver) but is beyond the scope of typical commercial agency trained divers who must stay within the NDL.

In the world where stops are the work of the devil, Nitrox is an extremely useful aid. In the world where stops are the price to pay for bottom time, nitrox is also an extremely useful aid.

Once you get too deep for nitrox 25 you probably ought to be putting your nitrox in a third cylinder and dealing with a whole lot more complication.

My default fill is 32%
Mine as well.

I generally don't go much deeper than some 30-ish meters as I'm not trimix certified and don't enjoy the stupid, brain-slow-as-molasses feeling I get below 30m more often than I appreciate. Also, gas density issues start to become something to consider somewhere between 30m and 40m. At the same time, I go below 20m more often than not, particularly in the summer with poor vis in the shallows.

For that kind of diving, EAN32 is more or less the ideal gas. I don't have to worry about watching my NDL, because on a single tank my bottom time is more or less guaranteed to be gas limited, not NDL limited. Even on my second dive of the day, I can be pretty certain that as long as I monitor my gas properly I don't have to faff with deco stops.

As a bonus, I have a lot less nitrogen bubbling in my blood after the dives. Having passed the big 5-0 and being in moderate shape, I think that's a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom