Nitrox question for Dr. Deco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJMike:
Did anyone post a link to the 11 diver study?

"Undersea Hyperb Med. 2003 Winter;30(4):285-91.

Measurement of fatigue following 18 msw dry chamber dives breathing air or enriched air nitrox.

Harris RJ, Doolette DJ, Wilkinson DC, Williams DJ.
Hyperbaric Medicine Unit, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia 5000.

Many divers report less fatigue following diving breathing oxygen rich N2-O2 mixtures compared with breathing air. In this double blinded, randomized controlled study 11 divers breathed either air or Enriched Air Nitrox 36% (oxygen 36%, nitrogen 64%) during an 18 msw (281 kPa(a)) dry chamber dive for a bottom time of 40 minutes. Two periods of exercise were performed during the dive. Divers were assessed before and after each dive using the Multidimensional Fatigue Inventory-20, a visual analogue scale, Digit Span Tests, Stroop Tests, and Divers Health Survey (DHS). Diving to 18m produced no measurable difference in fatigue, attention levels, ability to concentrate or DHS scores, following dives using either breathing gas."

Regards,

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
Undersea Hyperb Med. 2003 Winter;30(4):285-91.
Measurement of fatigue following 18 msw dry chamber dives breathing air or enriched air nitrox.
Harris RJ, Doolette DJ, Wilkinson DC, Williams DJ.
Hyperbaric Medicine Unit, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia 5000.
RRR ID: 3975

If you have problems finding a paper in the Rubicon Research Repository, PLEASE check out our FAQ page

This Undersea Hyperb Med. article is dated 2003, while your website states, "We will add 2002 to 2005 as soon as we can commit resources back to this project."

Best as I can tell, that article is available only to paying customers.

Please excuse me if I am missing something.

Regards,

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
This Undersea Hyperb Med. article is dated 2003, while your website states, "We will add 2002 to 2005 as soon as we can commit resources back to this project."
Oops, too much time adding papers and not updating text. I'll do that now. I have added 2002 and 2003. I am starting to add 2004 today (should be done by the end of the weekend). If all goes as planned, the 2005 articles will be in soon as well. There is a 12 month embargo from UHMS so we will stop there for now. We have several more years to go on the abstracts. Any volunteers? :wink:

DocVikingo:
Best as I can tell, that article is available only to paying customers.
No cost for the system. All documents/ abstracts are free. We do have a registration system for now to help guide the content we add. It also helps with funding requests to DAN and UHMS if we can show their members use the system. Donations are always welcome! This work represents thousands of volunteer man hours.

BTW - For the PubMed fans, UBR and UHM articles are named by their PubMed ID number. If you see a file in PubMed, search for the ID and if we have added it, you will find it.

Hi Mike,

Silly me, believing what the home page announces ; )

BTW, the link you posted takes me to a log in page.

Regards,

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
Yours is a very valuable service.
Happy to do it! If you have not seen it, my talk on Diving Medical Literature is also worth a few minutes to find other resources. I would love feedback so send it on!

Sorry for the small hijack.

Charlie99:
Andreas Zaferes wrote an article for Immersed magazine (Spring '97??)on this topic. Reviewed by Bill Hamilton, Ph.D., and Karen Van Hoesen, MD. The title was "Rethinking the Hit". . . .

Unfortunately, although I still have the PDF file, Immersed magazine has been bought by Diver magazine and I can no longer find the article posted online. . . .

Anybody have a link?

Try here:

http://atlanticunderwater.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=9&Itemid=91

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom